Talk

Advanced search

Farne Islands - which boat company and which trip?

(3 Posts)
NotAMammy Sun 09-Apr-17 19:50:31

We've lived in/around Newcastle for 8 years and never been to lots of places, which I'm trying to fix. I want to go to the Farne Islands this year but I'm a bit confused by all the options! We're National Trust members and I'd like to see the puffins and seals if possible. Should we book a cruise or is it better to land on some/any of the islands?
It'll just be DH and me.
And should we wait until mid-May for the best chances of seeing everything?

WeLoveHaribo Thu 20-Apr-17 11:19:38

We've just returned from a 5 day break in Northumberland. We had an amazing time, such beautiful scenery.
We're NT, Did hadrians wall, Cragside, Farne islands, Dunstanburgh castle and Allen banks, then Acorn bank on way back home!!
We drove to sea houses, parked up, went to see NT first had a chat with them about what they suggest. We landed on the island-free to land with NT cards, boat was £15 per adult £10 per child. no prices advertised but apparently all charge same. We just walked along and found one with times that suited us.
Was amazing! Loads of seals and so close. Loads of other wildlife, Kittywakes and Shags nesting just infront of you!
We were very luckily to spot 2 puffins come out of their burrows. When we got on boat many people hadnt seen any puffins. the tour guide said day before we went they saw up to 100 puffins (annoyingly!!) But by May there will be alot more i expect.
Hope that helps.

WeLoveHaribo Thu 20-Apr-17 11:21:45

Sorry forgot to say, i expect to see puffins up close, you will need to land?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now