spending money family uk holiday

(14 Posts)
Frazzled74 Sat 18-Mar-17 10:30:20

just being nosey really but also trying to plan a budget for the year. How much do people usually spend on a self catering uk holiday, cottage/lodge with proper kitchen so no need to eat out every day.

mummymeister Sat 18-Mar-17 12:30:18

usually just a bit more than I would spend if we were at home. if you budgeted an extra couple of pounds per person per day I would think that that would be about right personally.

highinthesky Sat 18-Mar-17 12:38:33

How long is a piece of string?

Bear in mind you won't get the same economies that you do at home as there is no store cupboard to fall back on. There will be a lot more packaged stuff / food items in single doses for picnic convenience too. If you're holidaying somewhere remote local prices might be higher than you'd expect. Plus the cost of treats out - teas, coffees, the odd scone, soft drinks and ice creams for the kids.

Personally, I would stop at a big supermarket as close to the destination as possible and do a big shop, but I appreciate boot space might be an issue. Don't forget to take a box of household supplies, e.g. washing up liquid, soap etc.

The big bonus is that you can eat what you like, when you like and don't have to pay silly prices for meals out. Enjoy!

DaisyBlameless Sat 18-Mar-17 12:40:00

An absolute fortune which is why we don't holiday in the UK anymore.

Have already booked?

Gizlotsmum Sat 18-Mar-17 12:43:13

Depends where. We can easily spend 60 a day ( doing touristy things/ small snacks in cafe/ lunch dinner out). You could look at where you are thinking of going and see what is around that you might want to do. You can get shopping delivered if you have the address. Depends on how many of you and what you like to do on holiday. We try to mix expensive days with cheap/ free days and stay near family so visit them too

Chattymummyhere Sat 18-Mar-17 12:45:38

We aim to take £100 per day spends, plus pre planned trip money and about £200 for food for eating in the caravan/lodge/cottage. Some days we might only spend £20 other days we can easily go over the £100.

Frazzled74 Sat 18-Mar-17 13:23:28

I have booked for may but was hoping to make it cheap as would like to save for another holiday later in the year if possible. friends were laughing at my idea that £500 would be plenty.shopping delivery is a good idea, i think i will order enough for 5 evening meals, breakfast and picnic stuff. we can have one takeaway , this is no different to a normal week at home so can be out of usual budget. 2 days travelling and then £500 for the other 5 days. I think we could even have change, but i may be being a bit optimistic !

2014newme Sat 18-Mar-17 13:24:50

I budget £400 for food days out etc

2014newme Sat 18-Mar-17 13:25:56

And I book a shopping delivery for the first night. Eat out at lunchtime and a couple evenings

Chattymummyhere Sat 18-Mar-17 13:42:21

Defiantly order a delivery of shopping or book a click and collect. I always find on holiday if I wonder the shop I spend and buy way more than needed.

It can be as cheap as you want though, when we owned our own holiday home we would go down some weekends and literally not spend any money as we would just take food out the cupboards/fridge/freezer and spend all day on the beach/in the swimming pool, take some games and movies for wet days. What costs money is eating out and wanting to be entertained 24/7 while away sometimes it's just a nice change to even do everything you would at home but not actually being at home. Take your 2p's from the 2p jar if you have one and once they are gone that's it or set a limit and stick to it say £10 arcade max in the week if you are going somewhere with an arcade.

TheHiphopopotamus Sat 18-Mar-17 14:20:27

Spending money is at least a £1000 for us, but we eat out most of the time, I don't go on holiday to cook for everyone like I do at home.

If we didnt go out to eat, I reckon you could maybe cut that by a third.

CountryCaterpillar Sat 18-Mar-17 14:37:39

We spend probably under 300. National trust members and enjoy exploring other places. Maybe a day to an "attraction" but we tend to prefer coves and walking and playing. Swimming onsite if it's a caravan park and sometimes the activities they run.

Riderontheswarm Tue 21-Mar-17 23:22:05

I think £500 for a week's family holiday would be plenty. It is not like you can go to bar's every night and drink your way through a fortune when you have your DC with you. We would probably spend less than that on a week long trip in the UK. It DCs prefer BBQs and fish and chips to restaurants which helps.

Frazzled74 Tue 21-Mar-17 23:58:37

Thank you, I feel reassured.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now