somewhere to break journey b/w London and Pembrokeshire?

(12 Posts)
Fridayschild Sun 12-Mar-17 13:38:41

I am thinking about the Pembrokeshire coast for our summer holiday but I don't want to drive all the way in a single stretch. Any recommendations? I am thinking a premier inn near a Go Ape - that would tick a lot of boxes for us! DC are 14 and 12

WonderMike Sun 12-Mar-17 13:42:57

Overnight, you mean? We usually stop at Cardiff Ikea grin

NotCitrus Sun 12-Mar-17 14:12:43

babyroutes.co.uk/m4motorwayservices/

Lots of places to stop for a long lunch break and leg stretching. Not sure which we'll use this summer, but National trust ones would be free for us.

DancingLedge Sun 12-Mar-17 16:19:29

Thanks Not , useful link.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Sun 12-Mar-17 16:27:43

I was going to say Caldicot Castle or Dyrham Park but they are both on that baby routes link.

Sadik Sun 12-Mar-17 17:20:12

You could stay the night in the Cardiff bay Travelodge & go to the Dr Who experience if your DC are fans.

Or the open air Museum of Welsh Life at St Fagans is a great place to visit (and free) - you can easily spend a whole day there mind you

annandale Sun 12-Mar-17 17:25:15

It's quite a long way along but the swimming pool in Swansea is AWESOME. you could stop there and stay nearby. You might not get to Pembrokeshire though grin

Otherwise, Dyrham Park.

TittyGolightly Sun 12-Mar-17 17:26:39

There's a Go Ape at Margam Park, which is near Neath.

Sadik Sun 12-Mar-17 19:51:03

The only other thing I'd say is that I wouldn't necessarily think it was necessary to stay overnight from London / Pembs - I'm a pretty slow driver & stop a lot - but it's mostly just hacking along the M4. Maybe 4.5 / 5 hours?

GavelRavel Sun 12-Mar-17 19:56:04

We go from South London every summer and it only takes about 4 hours - would you need to stop? we tend to leave late Sat afternoon and miss and traffic.

TheSconeOfStone Sun 12-Mar-17 20:07:17

St Fagans is great. We have broken the journey from Devon to Pembs there a few times (we got a few times a year to visit the in-laws). Castle Coch is nice as well. Just off the M4 near Cardiff.

We often stop at Ikea because we don't have one but I guess that's not an issue for you coming from somewhere big with shops.

Fridayschild Mon 13-Mar-17 20:20:44

Thanks for all the tips!

4 or 5 hours is quite a long time to be driving for me! I salute all of you with more stamina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now