Talk

Advanced search

Where to go in Scotland at half term?

(11 Posts)
LadyMaryofDownt0n Thu 23-Feb-17 19:22:05

Live in Ireland, we've booked the boat to Scotland at the April half term. We just need to decide where to go. We have National Trust membership, like outdoors, nice surroundings & decent food. I don't really want to be near a city or very large town as shopping isn't in the agenda.

I've three kids aged 3, 7 & 12 & I am also taking my elderly parents.

Location suggestions very much welcomed.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Thu 23-Feb-17 19:27:04

I'm going to suggest Loch Insh Water Sports Centre.
The surrounding countryside is lovely with lots of scope for walking. There are organised outdoor activities for the kids plus you can hire canoes, kayaks, paddle boards etc (these are even free for guests at certain times of the day).
The scenery is stunning and there is a sit down restaurant with views of the Loch. I think it won an award for best view.
Accommodation is self catering cottage or youth hostel rooms and very resonably priced.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:28:36

Sterling. And the safari park.

NapQueen Thu 23-Feb-17 19:29:19

We holiday every year in the Cairngorms. Rent a self catering lodge. We usually stay anywhere between Grantown on Spey and Newtonmore.

We visit the Cairgorm mountain and go up ther vernicular railway. Sledge if snow. We go to Highland Wildife Park. Go to the Landmark Park. Drive to Neath for the coast. Loch Morlich near the Cairngorms.

LtGreggs Thu 23-Feb-17 19:31:10

Blair Atholl

feelitinyourbones Thu 23-Feb-17 19:51:21

You need to say how far you are willling to drive. For your requirements, if you don't mind a fair drive up from the ferry, I would also highly recommend the Aviemore area. There are a couple of lovely big resorts with lodges or hotel (Hilton Coylumbridge and Macdonald Aviemore). These would cater for the wide age range both on site and with access to great activities for kids in the area.

umberellaonesie Thu 23-Feb-17 19:52:48

Dumfries and Galloway is perfect for you.
Loads to do great beaches and forests.

Waggamamma Thu 23-Feb-17 19:58:17

Aviemore. Hilton or McDonald resorts are both lovely.

Creiff Hydro.

bagelbaby Thu 23-Feb-17 20:00:00

Yes to Landmark centre!

bagelbaby Thu 23-Feb-17 20:01:57

Loch an Eilean. Hire bikes and cycle round. Fab. Also Tree Zone nearby and lunch in the Rothimuchus centre cafe.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Thu 23-Feb-17 20:50:07

Oh thanks everyone.... oh to google!

I don't really mind how far we have to drive we're going for the full week I'll have plenty of time & rest.

The safari park sounds right up my street & I know my dad loves that type of thing to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now