Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with 6 & 8 year old - no budget

(7 Posts)
Jessicabrassica Mon 20-Feb-17 10:28:07

I have he opportunity to take a sabbatical next summer whilst DH (teacher) and kids are off school. We have no money but since this is probably the only opportunity I will have to have an extended summer break, what could we do? I reckon we could have 3-4 weeks off (DH needs to be back mid August for exam results etc).
We have not been abroad with the children although DH & I have travelled independently to far flung places in the past.
Where could we reasonably go?
I was wondering about Scottish island hopping- we have a monster tent or could take a couple of back packers tents instead or maybe find a cheap campsite and live on the beach in Cornwall for a while. Both would be weather dependent though.

Anyone done this? Any idea on just how cheaply we could do it?

mummymeister Tue 21-Feb-17 16:01:22

The camp site I was thinking of in Polzeath cornwall is about £48 per pitch per night. is this cheap?

island hopping is going to be more expensive when you factor in fuel costs and any boat costs so staying put in one place is always going to be cheaper.

you could offer to house sit for someone or investigate house swops depending on where you live. this would be cheaper.

unfortunately the words "cheap" and "school summer holidays" rarely go in the same sentence.!

Avebury Tue 21-Feb-17 23:04:20

Could you take the opportunity to travel round the country visiting all those friends and family that you always promise to catch up with but never do? You could camp in their gardens and throw in the odd travelodge whilst visiting lots of different places.

Jessicabrassica Thu 23-Feb-17 01:14:22

£48 a night would limit us to a small number of nights I think, mummymeister (love your usernane) but you're probably right about island hopping costs.
We have house swapped with friends in the past which has worked well but always regret not being able to see the friends we've swapped with. A combination of staying with friends and house swapping could be abrilliant idea! Thanks both!
Avebu

3boys3dogshelp Thu 23-Feb-17 01:21:12

Ferry prices to the Scottish Islands are eye watering!
Have a look at Airbnb - some great deals on there.
I think you might be able to hire a camper van then park it up and use it as a base - you don't have to be on a campsite in Scotland. How old are you children? If 6+ consider getting them to apply for blue peter badges ASAP - gets them free entry to loads of places for cheap days out.
If going to Scotland don't miss Edinburgh fringe festival - plenty of family friendly shows and not all expensive.

2014newme Thu 23-Feb-17 09:43:51

If you have zero budget then a tour staying with family and friends is the only option but how would you afford petrol, food, activities and some way of thanking your hosts fie their hospitality?

FurbysMakeSexNoises Thu 23-Feb-17 09:44:56

Have you considered house swapping? I've just signed up to one and have arranged visits in some lovely places- only few is joining the site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now