Talk

Advanced search

DS needs to be at Imperial College 22nd Feb - TUBE STRIKE

(8 Posts)
FV45 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:07:33

So, DS1 has an interview starting at 11am at Imperial.

He will be coming from Cambridge way, so getting on the tube at Tottenham Hale.
It's the Central Line that will be closed and he's not on that line, but of course the rest of the network will be very busy.

He's fine travelling around London, but we have little experience of doing so when there are strikes on.
How much extra time should he allow?

AveEldon Thu 16-Feb-17 13:52:43

Victoria Line to Green Park then Piccadilly Line to South Ken
Usually 30 mins so allow an hour and he'll be fine

FV45 Thu 16-Feb-17 17:11:19

Thank you!

Mrsmorton Thu 16-Feb-17 17:13:10

Make sure he downloads the Citymapper app if he doesn't already have it. It's fab at telling you in real time which the best mode of transport is when everything is chocka.

Smallinthesmoke Thu 16-Feb-17 17:25:14

Changing from Victoria to Piccadilly line at Finsbury Park will be quicker than at Green Park as it is level access from one platform to another.
A tube strike on one line is a bit meh to be honest, most mornings one line or another seems to be buggered. (Which is why for important things like interviews I always allow a ridiculous amount of time- more than an hour in this case- and then sit in a coffee shop at the other end). But he will be travelling after the worst of the rush hour so should be able to get on trains. Often earlier you have to wait for several trains to go by to squeeze on one.
Hope the interview goes well.

FV45 Thu 16-Feb-17 17:31:18

I kind of thought it would be OK, but I have a hysterical great aunt sending me reams of anxious emails so I thought I'd get my facts straight before telling her to calm the fuck down!

nb she dotes on DS1 and it's all well intended.

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Sat 18-Feb-17 20:40:27

Remember to allow time to walk from South Ken station to the college (about 5 mins) and then time to find the right building on campus. He should have been sent a map and directions for this. But best to aim to be there early and allow time to find the right room. I work at Imperial and it isn't easy to find your way around.
Good luck for the interview!

FV45 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:11:04

All was fine. He had bags of time and the interview went well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now