Talk

Advanced search

St. Andrews

(20 Posts)
lozster Sun 12-Feb-17 21:32:27

I need to be in St. Andrews in august for a wedding. Will be with my DP and DS who will be just 4. It's a long way for us to drive so I'm debating whether to make a weeks holiday of it or to just stay for a couple of nights. Is there enough to see and do around there to justify a week?

Any opinions or suggestions for value accommodation? Bride has suggested university halls but I'm not sure how suitable they are for kids and paying for two rooms starts to add up fast too.

3nationsfamily Sun 12-Feb-17 21:57:23

It is a great area for a holiday. The beach in St Andrews itself is fantastic ( chariots of fire opening sequence filmed there) there is the sea life centre in the town and just outside the town is Cragtoun park www.friendsofcraigtoun.org.uk/ . Within half an hour there is a deer centre, lovely fishing villages Crail and Anstruther and a water sports centre in Elie. Best idea for families is to book a cottage in the area anywhere along the East Neuk coast- have a look at www.elielet.com/ as well as the usual HomeAway , Vrbo, and other cottage letting sites.

lozster Sun 12-Feb-17 22:00:41

Thank you so much 3nations! I will check that link out flowers

Lovefromhull Sun 12-Feb-17 22:04:21

Beautiful corner of Scotland- do stay. Tentsmuir forest and beach, St. Andrews town is pretty, and Dundee is worth a visit. Sensations there is a good rainy day trip. Envious!

user1471446433 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:06:34

The castle is must better than it looks (you can go into a siege tunnel), nice places (& plenty of kid friendly ones) to eat, the university Museum is strangely brilliant for kids, beaches are beautiful, swimming pool, loads of places to ride too.
Great place for a holiday

MorrisZapp Sun 12-Feb-17 22:07:15

Good news! They've built a premier Inn in St Andrews at last, with family rooms if that suits. We love it there and visit every year, there's heaps to do and more cafes and restaurants than you could ever visit.

lozster Sun 12-Feb-17 22:11:01

That park looks fab!

What would be my chances of being able to book cabs from east Neuk to St. Andrews? I live in a rural area so never presume this is easy! Alternatively, what's the parking like in St. Andrews in the city centre?

blueskyinmarch Sun 12-Feb-17 22:11:29

I live in St Andrews, it is a great place to visit. Hotels can be expensive though. There are lots of B&B’s, holiday flat/cottage rentals and 3 caravan parks so i am sure you can find somewhere not too expensive.

If you are driving and have a car you can explore the East Neuk which has lots of lovely beaches. You can pop over to Dundee to the Science Centre. You could even go visit Edinburgh on the train for the day.

Have a great visit.

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 12-Feb-17 22:12:11

St. Andrews and fife is generally is great for kids. Have fond memories of holidays as a kid as my grandma lives in Kirkcaldy.
There is an aquarium, the beaches also burns sweet shop that sells sweets by weight from a huge range and an amazing ice cream shop.
The rest of the coast is beautiful also near enough to go to Edinburgh.

blueskyinmarch Sun 12-Feb-17 22:13:37

There are several pay and display car parks in the town centre and several places you can park for nothing. There are buses that go from St Andrews to the East Neuk and to all the main towns sound about Fife and further afield.

blueskyinmarch Sun 12-Feb-17 22:17:09

Where about is the wedding? Some wedding venues are a little out of the town like the Fairmont or Kinkell Byre. They are all accessible by taxi though.

Kiwi32 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:22:01

Whatever you do make sure you eat a custard fudge donut from Fisher and Donaldson. I am reliably informed they now have a donut vending machine on the street for 2am donut emergencies

Lovefromhull Sun 12-Feb-17 22:27:44

A fisher and Donaldson vending machine- wow!! Am booking my next holiday!

Laughsandgiggles Sun 12-Feb-17 22:34:06

My folks have a house in the centre and love going there over the summer. Parking can be difficult right in the centre but there's usually parking just a short walk away. Depending on dates check out the Lammas fair (running from 10th August this year)

giggly Sun 12-Feb-17 22:41:44

There's a premier Inn 😀excellent. We usually go for the day for chips with brown sauce ,cakes and ice cream. My dc love
staying in PI so a wee overnight sounds likely.

Jessicabrassica Sun 12-Feb-17 23:17:28

We took ours up there when they were 3 and 5. Dundee Discovery centre, Edinburgh zoo, cairnie fruit farm, st Andrews for beach on sunny day and swimming pool in the rain. We ran out of days and would like to go back. Definitely worth a holiday

MorrisZapp Mon 13-Feb-17 15:59:33

The aquarium is pretty shit I have to say. At least it gives me an annual excuse to trot out my 'not fit for porpoise' line.

The Botanic Gardens are ace.

KeepCalm Mon 13-Feb-17 22:50:47

It's a lovely spot - we live near. Tentsmuir forest is gorgeous and Cairnie Farm is my kids favourite spot.

Cambo Estate has a lovely walk down to the shore and Crail is an excellent spot for rock pooling.

Elie has a super beach for water sports.

You'll be spoilt for choice.

lozster Thu 16-Feb-17 22:35:50

Thanks all. Booked for four nights airbnb, walking distance to venue. smile

KeepCalm Wed 22-Feb-17 16:42:03

hurrah! Welcome to the neighbourhood lozter even if only for a short while!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now