Talk

Advanced search

Flight advice

(11 Posts)
CatsRule Sun 12-Feb-17 11:55:30

I'd appreciate some help please from wise travellers.

I'm looking to go anywhere, preferably Uk, from Glasgow or nearby airports just for 1 night, a Saturday to Sunday would be best. It's really just for the purpose of letting my child get used to a short flight before going on 2 longer ones later on in the year. Not bothered where we go, would be great if it was cheap flights. I plan on doing a cheap hotel stay when we get there. It doesn't have to be an exciting destination or have lots of entertainment available. Any ideas?

mummymeister Wed 15-Feb-17 14:28:31

Newquay? Bristol? - you could go to the @Bristol children's museum which is a whole day out and great fun.

Orangedaisy Wed 15-Feb-17 14:33:09

Belfast

mrsmortis Thu 16-Feb-17 10:52:35

Dublin is probably going to be the cheapest. Though STN won't be much more. Both would be Ryanair.

Have you even used google flights? You can put in a start point, a month and say you are looking for a weekend awa. They'll give you the cheapest cost of flying to various cites in that month.

mrsmortis Thu 16-Feb-17 10:53:11

sorry - even should be ever. I wasn't trying to be rude...

CatsRule Thu 16-Feb-17 15:21:06

Thanks for the replies.

I never thought about Newquay. I did look at Bristol but I thought the airport was quite far away from anywhere...it's been years since I've been so could be wrong.

I have tried various search engines but whenever I find cheap flights the travel/transfer and accommodation seems really expensive and vice versa.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much but would prefer just a relatively inexpensive trip as we're saving for the main holiday.

mummymeister Fri 17-Feb-17 10:47:34

Momondo is a good website for finding cheap flights. you wont have luggage so a budget carrier would be ideal.

CatsRule Fri 17-Feb-17 12:47:41

Brilliant thanks, will have a look at that website.

ThunderboltKid Mon 27-Feb-17 22:08:50

Wouldn't bother with Newquay - flights often get delayed or cancelled because of the weather as airport is so small.

We did Dublin in a day from London once; worked really well for a day out!

JassyRadlett Mon 27-Feb-17 22:13:45

How long is the longer flight? And how old is the child?

I only ask as I've done quite a few long haul flights with small kids and they are really different from shorter flights in terms of how you need to prepare, the onboard experience, how the kids respond, etc. So I'm not sure the prep flight is worth the money.

If any consolation, both my children have been easier to deal with on 12 hour flights than on short haul....

ginswinger Mon 27-Feb-17 22:35:34

IMO I think that getting a suitably timed flight for your kid (not too early or late), make sure you have plenty of snacks and entertainment for them and making a plan if you get delayed and you should be fine.
If we have an early flight, I get an airport hotel the night before and late flights mean an airport hotel at the other end. The kids I have seen having a tantrum seem to be the ones whose parents have had them out of bed at 3am for a 10am flight and they're just exhausted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now