Talk

Advanced search

Scotland national trust ideas please....

(7 Posts)
WeLoveHaribo Sat 11-Feb-17 20:06:45

We're holidaying in Scotland in August (Dumfries, Fort William and Inverness)
We're national trust members
Children are 5 & 8.
Love the outdoors, woods, walking, castles etc
Where have you been?
Thanks

beatricequimby Sun 12-Feb-17 20:18:26

Scotland isn't that great for National Trust places in my experience. Historic Scotland is much better, loads of fab castles near Dumfries, plus you might be able to go to Doune or Stirling on your way up North.

Are you set on going to Fort William? Lots of nearby places are so much nicer.

DarceyBushell Sun 12-Feb-17 22:11:08

Threave gardens and castle in Castle Douglas is good. The castle is about 2 miles away from the garden, it is Historic Scotland but has a reciprocal agreement and you get a boat to it :-) ). Gardens are lovely with a play area and a cafe, whole place is not big though. Up in Inverness they've got Culloden which is newly opened, but never been. Brodie Castle in Forres isn't a million miles away.

lilydaisyrose Sun 12-Feb-17 22:12:22

National Trust properties are mainly centered around Aberdeenshire I think!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 12-Feb-17 22:20:38

Not sure if they still do them, but Historic Scotland used to do month passes to a particular area, ideal for a holiday. We visited five HS places in Dumfriesshire over seven days and recouped the price of the limited membership after two visits I think. (Agree that there are more HS than NTS properties in that area, not sure about elsewhere.)

WeLoveHaribo Tue 14-Feb-17 09:51:18

Aw thanks for advice, shame not many good NT ones..
we decided on fort william as we are going to do Isle of Mull and Isle of Skye. Plus getting the Jacobite steam train from Fort William...
Doesnt have to be NT just thought we've done lots of England/Wales trips around NT!!

bramblina Thu 16-Feb-17 23:52:15

When in Inverness, Dunrobin Castle is worth a visit (a wee journey North) and the drive is lovely too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now