I'm moving to County durham

(35 Posts)
HeliMay Tue 07-Feb-17 22:09:06

Hi everyone, I'm looking at moving up north this summer with my two children, I really like Chester le Street but it's a little out of my price range, could anyone recommend any areas that are nice and child friendly close to that town and ones to avoid please?
Any info much appreciated, thank you x x

birdsdestiny Tue 07-Feb-17 22:11:58

Lanchester is lovely.

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Feb-17 22:13:58

Barnard Castle is lovely, but probably on the pricey side.

ghostspirit Tue 07-Feb-17 22:17:13

I lived in crook for a while... I hated it.

helpful

DurhamDurham Tue 07-Feb-17 22:17:42

Come and buy my house in Great Lumley please!

We're hoping to downsize to pay off the mortgage so any interest gratefully received grin

There's some lovely areas all throughout County Durham but I agree that Lanchester looks like it's a fantastic place to live. I think I'll retire there.

PickAChew Tue 07-Feb-17 22:22:51

Barnard Castle is miles from Chester le street and eyewateringly expensive!

Are you renting or buying, HeliMay? And what are you looking for for what sort of ballpark budget?

Longdistance Tue 07-Feb-17 22:23:32

My mil lives in Seaham. Love it there, but I don't know if it's pricey as we live near London, and the houses seem a bargain compared to what ours would sell for.

I think it's a great location near Sunderland and not too far from Newcastle too.

HeliMay Wed 08-Feb-17 01:55:16

Thanks everyone for your reply, I'm new to using sites like this so didn't know if I'd get any replays.
We are buying, I drove through lanchester last weekend when I visited family and I do agree it's lovely, just not seen any houses I like, but this doesn't mean something may come up by the summer, does anyone know if there are any new builds going up there at all?
Thanks again for the help x x

HeliMay Wed 08-Feb-17 01:58:04

Aww sorry pickachew I missed your other question, it's £160000 if it's second hand lol or £200000 if it's a new build x x

mamabluestar Wed 08-Feb-17 22:04:00

I'm not local to Durham (closer to the North Yorkshire Moors), but I know that there's a couple of friendly FB pages from that area - Mums in Durham and Family Explorers North East. They may be able to help too

Ilovecaindingle Wed 08-Feb-17 22:05:11

Schools in Chester le street are rubbish!!

breakfastnotattiffanys Wed 08-Feb-17 22:06:52

Belmont, carrville, gilesgate moor, pittington sherburn.......

SockswithSandals Wed 08-Feb-17 22:21:13

If it doesn't have to be near Chester le Street, Darlington is a nice town with some nice areas. I'm in Newton Aycliffe about 7 miles from there and house prices here are very very reasonable bordering on cheap and it's a lovely small town with great schools

Hastalapasta Wed 08-Feb-17 22:27:20

Good luck moving! I am also in the North Yorkshire area and had a great time house hunting in the areagrin Another vote for the Seaham, looks lovely.

DurhamDurham Wed 08-Feb-17 22:43:28

There's some lovely schools in Chester le Street. A few rubbish ones but my girls both went to very good schools and went on to uni.

PickAChew Wed 08-Feb-17 23:39:21

You'll get a decent 3 bed semi or townhouse in most of the places mentioned for that sort of budget! Have a look at the North side of Durham itself, too - Framwellgate Moor, Newton Hall etc.

HeliMay Thu 09-Feb-17 11:12:06

Hi Durhamdurham, yes Iv looked at the schools and some do look good, Iv seen some houses I like in newfield, pelton and pelton fell, what are these areas like please? Thanks for your help x x

HeliMay Thu 09-Feb-17 11:13:10

Hi mama blue star, that's great Iv requested to join the groups, fan idea, thank you x x

myrtleWilson Thu 09-Feb-17 11:29:36

Hi Heli,
We have recently moved to Durham City and really like it here - would that be an option?

birdsdestiny Thu 09-Feb-17 11:32:35

Er there is no way to say this nicely but pelton would not be my first choice.

DurhamDurham Thu 09-Feb-17 18:26:56

Pelton and Pelton Fell aren't great, apologies if anyone reading this lives there. They don't have a positive reputation historically but maybe they've changed recently.

ItchyFoot Thu 09-Feb-17 18:29:26

Grew up in Lanchester. Absolutely loved my childhood. Google Lanchester Valley Railway Path and Malton to see why. Avoid Burnhope

ItchyFoot Thu 09-Feb-17 18:30:29

I alway thought Wolsingham looked nice as well.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 09-Feb-17 18:33:25

I'm in County Durham too, near ish Lanchester in a village west of Durham. It is great. County Durham has so much going for it. We have good primary schools in walking distance, bus to good secondary from our street, loads of toddler groups and craft groups for little ones. Stuff for older kids too. Great community. Wouldn't live anywhere else.

birdsdestiny Thu 09-Feb-17 19:36:54

Yes Wolsingham is lovely. It also depends if you are commuting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now