Talk

Advanced search

Fancy a 2/3 night city break with the dc in a UK city over half term - sell me your city!

(39 Posts)
hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 19:32:11

Not Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, London or York as we are pretty familiar with them already. Also not Southampton or Salisbury (my local haunts)

What's an interesting City to visit with a good blend of cultural and entertainment options?

brusselssprouts Thu 02-Feb-17 19:37:58

How old are the DCs? My family have been to lots of UK destinations over the years, and have particularly enjoyed

Durham
St Andrews (not really a city but lovely!)
Cambridge
Glasgow

- although I have to say the first three were in the summer and we were outdoors a lot. If you are intrigued by any of them I can give you more info on the kinds of things we did ...

hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 19:44:00

The dc are: ds - 12 (nearly 13) and dd who is 14.

I guess for convenience Cambridge might be the best option as it is driveable for us, but Glasgow would be possible too as we can get direct flights from Southampton airport, so would like to hearmore about those two please smile

hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 19:44:21

hear more

sm40 Thu 02-Feb-17 19:45:05

Oxford?

Hooleywhipper Thu 02-Feb-17 19:47:20

Is Portsmouth too close OP?

hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 19:47:26

Other than the University what's good to see / do in Oxford sm40? (sorry am being lazy - I could google it I guess but if people have the local knowledge its quicker to pick your brains)

hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 19:52:23

I know Portsmouth fairly well Hooley - done the Marie Rose and the Victory (excellent) and the Spinnaker Tower

DeathMetalMum Thu 02-Feb-17 19:58:36

I love Liverpool, loads of brilliant free museums, theatre, sights - both cathedrals are pretty spectacular for different reasons, shops, restaurants, boat trips, football if you're interested. Probably a lot more tbh, we live pretty nearby but still visit quite often.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 02-Feb-17 20:00:27

London or Liverpool

brusselssprouts Thu 02-Feb-17 20:03:22

Those are good ages (I think!)

Cambridge
historic, colleges, King's College Chapel, studenty life and teashops, Fitzwilliam Museum, punting (OK maybe not in Feb), visit to Grantchester for connections with Rupert Brooke - there's an orchard tearoom (again, not sure if it's open in Feb gosh I'm really selling this), Ely is a short hop, beautiful cathedral there's an air museum within striking distance as well, DCs went for a plane ride shock

Glasgow - well set up for the indoor life as it rains so much
loads of great shops, Science Museum, Modern Art museum, Kelvingrove Galleries, RIverside Museum of Transport, you can go indoor snow-skiing at Braehead shopping centre, big concerts. Charles Rennie Mackintosh style Willow Tea Rooms. Lots of eateries.

HTH!

DJKKSlider Thu 02-Feb-17 20:04:54

Hull

The UK's city if Culture for 2017
The home of Chip Spice and Hull Patties.
The Humber bridge
Ferens art gallery
Maritime museum
Street life museum
The Blade

Historic, modern, vibrant.
The city of the future that never forgets its past.
Hull
Everyone's welcome

hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 20:06:48

Oooh we do like a science museum and modern art brussels so Glasgow is looking appealing, but then Liverpool sounds interesting too ...

hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 20:09:32

grin DJK - have you lifted that straight from a tourist info leaflet? wink

Hull wouldn't immediately leap out at me, but when you put it like that it sounds quite appealing.

Looks like I've got the next few half terms sussed!

Mrspotatohead18 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:10:32

Liverpool!

RebelRogue Thu 02-Feb-17 20:10:51

Do you have a budget? Will you drive?
Watford- close to Harry Potter studios, Woburn safari park, willows farm(they're probably a bit old for willows though). Also 7-9 miles away from the Verulamium museum, De Havilland aircraft museum and Dinosaur escape crazy golf. Oh and the Watford museum ifc.

MsHeffalump Thu 02-Feb-17 20:13:18

Another point in Hull's favour - really big aquarium. With sharks!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 02-Feb-17 20:14:29

Bristol is stunning, my pre teen and teen dses loved it. Lots of city stuff, history, shopping, Avon gorge and Clifton suspension bridge. We loved it. We were there to do the Shaun the sheep trails but I would definitely return.

Liverpool: head to Crosby beach to see the Anthony Gormley figures. Well worth it, we went last half term and it was freezing but amazing!

Chester: compact but lovely. Loads of history.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Thu 02-Feb-17 20:18:23

Cardiff is good for Doctor Who fans. Bay, castle, just generally nice.

Liverpool is definitely good if they're art-minded.

Brighton is fun for teens.

DJKKSlider Thu 02-Feb-17 20:19:04

No I wrote it just for you.

I love Hull.
I lived for the first 36 years of my pathetic life in the midlands, now I live near Hull. Its glorious.

The Deep
The museums
The city centre
Bob Carvers
Freedom festival
Hull City Fair
And more.

Its just brilliant. My favourite English city.

CountTessa Thu 02-Feb-17 20:23:41

Not my city, but I vote for Liverpool. Great fun, loads of museums if it's wet, the Albert docks are fun and who can beat the Ferry cross the Mersey....

goteam Thu 02-Feb-17 20:28:37

Liverpool! I don't live there but would if I had any friends or family there.

rememberpurpleronnie Thu 02-Feb-17 20:28:52

Come to Glasgow! It's great for that age group. Brilliant for shopping- check out Buchanan st and Princes Square shopping centre. If they are into outdoorsy things you are less than an hour from Loch Lomond. Kelvingrove museum is amazing. For food try ox and finch. The science centre and imax cinema might also be of interest.

hmcAsWas Thu 02-Feb-17 20:38:43

Thank you all - I want to visit these cities! All of them! Will put it to the family jury to decide which we do first over the Feb half term. All your suggestions are appreciated - cheers.

SandlakeRd Thu 02-Feb-17 20:41:52

We are going to Liverpool- see you there maybe! It seems like there is loads to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now