Talk

Advanced search

Central London with newborn

(32 Posts)
sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:34:21

Hi all,

When my baby is due to be around 4-6 weeks old I need to travel to London for two hospital appointments. I'll drive with my husband to a family house in London. However I'll need to travel with husband and baby on two consecutive days (a Friday and Saturday) into central London for hospital appointments. I have a big travel system (the joolz geo), a Caboo sling and a babybjorn one carrier. There's a chance we could drive in which would solve all problems but I want to know some advise if we chose to take the tube. My joolz geo would be way too big to take on the tube I imagine. I could use the carrier or the sling. This will be my first baby so I want to ask if I take them in the carrier or sling will they be ok in it and out of it a little for the potential 4 hours it could take to make the journey there, have appointment and come back? In my head I'm thinking they'd need to lie down at some point but I wouldn't have the option for that.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

goldangel Wed 01-Feb-17 09:36:30

How far is the hospital to where you are staying? If possible I'd just take a black taxi there and back.

Spottyladybird Wed 01-Feb-17 09:41:43

They'll be fine in the sling. You'll be able to feed and change then pop them back in. It'll be much less stressful than worrying about a pram

JournosAreLazy Wed 01-Feb-17 09:47:37

Some of the long high escalators are petrifying with a buggy. Holborn station nearly gave me a heart attack the first time I did it grin it's doable though providing your buggy isn't too bulky.

I would do it with a sling if you can or drive there.

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:54:39

Thank you.
Too far in a black cab unfortunately.
Would you choose the Caboo sling rather than the babybjorn one carrier at such a young age?
I'll likely be getting off at Euston where the escalators aren't too big but I think the buggy is a no go as I live in a much quieter place so it's a big heavy one and fine for where I live but not so much for London!

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:56:38

Thank you. Do you think the Caboo sling is more appropriate than the babybjorn one carrier 4-6 weeks old? I feel like they might not be as comfy in the babybjorn when small.

catsarenice Wed 01-Feb-17 10:00:30

I had to go into London when DS was 3 weeks. I took my pram and worked out a route that had lifts by checking disabled access on the tube map. Had the travel back in rush hour which meant standing but it was far less stressful than I thought it would be. I was scared of getting squashed which is why I didn't use the sling.

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:01:25

Oh and one extra question.

The baby doesn't have to be in the appointment but my husband does with me.

Is it a no no to take your newborn into your appointment incase they are unsettled etc? If this is really likely I can take another relative with us who can wait in the waiting room with baby.

I know my doctors really well so I know they'd like to see the baby but maybe we need back up of someone to pass them to so we can concentrate on the appointment?

Gardencentregroupie Wed 01-Feb-17 10:02:57

The sling is a good decision, it is horrid trying to take a buggy on the tube. The babybjorn one claims to be suitable from newborn, have you had your baby yet? My instinct would be that the caboo would be lighter and more comfortable for both of you, but you/your baby might exhibit a preference. I see the babybjorn one is a decent ergonomic carrier and your baby can stay in either option all day, so closer to the time spend a bit of time with your baby in both and see what's easier and more comfortable smile

spacefrog35 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:03:01

I don't think the babybjorn is recommended for tiny babies so I'd go the the caboo.

Gardencentregroupie Wed 01-Feb-17 10:05:58

spacefrog from what I can see the bb1 is ergonomic, more like the connecta style than the normal babybjorn (vastly improved design!) so would be ok for a newborn but looks a bit stiff and heavy compared with the caboo.

hopsalong Wed 01-Feb-17 10:09:38

I would strongly recommend using a car seat and an Uber: just make sure you have practice fitting it before you go, because the driver may not help. You can fold up the buggy and then put the car seat back into it to make a travel system at other end.

You can take a full pram in a black cab, but is very expensive and I was never convinced it was massively safe for baby.

I've done the tube/ sling thing many times and I think it is stressful for a new parent/ with a very small baby. You have to be prepared for things going wrong (e.g. train being stuck in tunnel for ten mins or absolutely packed). If your baby hasn't yet had injections, I would also be trying to avoid crowded enclosed spaces with lots of people coughing!

Disastronaut Wed 01-Feb-17 10:12:39

A different view from a Londoner! If it's you and your husband together on the tube, it's fine to take the pram, regardless of size. You can both carry it on the escalator & up/down stairs. Avoid rush hour if possible (but I'd advise that with sling too).

Then if your baby sleeps or you want to have lunch, you don't have to carry the whole time.

Wouldn't worry about taking the baby into the appointment either, I've done it & docs are used to it!

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:16:30

Haven't had baby yet so I'll see which carrier suits them best when they arrive. Babybjorn one has a newborn adjustment but like said it's quite a stuff one but very ergonomic. Depending on when they are born they may or may not have had their injections so maybe that will influence things too. I'd recently organised my appointments so wanted to think through how I'd get there.

Thank you for all the valuable advice.

EssentialHummus Wed 01-Feb-17 10:17:08

You can also Google for TfL's accessibility maps - they'll tell you which stations have step-free access / lifts. May help you plan a bit if taking a pram.

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:17:28

Astronaut - good to get a Londoners view! Thanks!

JassyRadlett Wed 01-Feb-17 10:20:21

Which station will you be near? We can help you with the best route.

I agree that with the two of you the pram would usually not be too much of a bother but with a newborn I'd think twice - obviously a no no after a csection, you may have stitches, etc.

Absolutely fine to have your newborn in with you. I hope everything is ok.

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:26:08

I'll be Finchley (I think Finchley Central is best access). I need to get to Russel's square but I think it will be easier to get off at Euston and walk as then it's just one line and no changes.

apeculiarparcel Wed 01-Feb-17 10:28:02

I would take a buggy or a car seat to put the baby into whilst you are at your appointment.

Am just thinking it may not be practical for you or dh to hold the baby the whole way through the appointments?

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:28:44

So I shouldn't be on the tube for too long smile

JassyRadlett Wed 01-Feb-17 10:38:54

Oh yes, Finchley Central has lifts, doesn't it? So I would definitely take the pram.

LittleBearPad Wed 01-Feb-17 10:39:19

I'd get off at Kings Cross rather than Euston - its closer to Russell Square.

I'd take the sling (caboo probably)

Take a muslin/blanket, then if you get a coffee somewhere you can lay the baby down on it on a sofa or chair next to you if need be.

Tiny babies are usually quite happy to be snuggled into you so if you can keep wearing it (or DH can) through the appointment you should be fine.

sunhat88 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:54:50

Thank you smile my options are much clearer now.

What's the General thoughts on taking a newborn on the tube (outside of rush hour) before their 8 week vaccinations?

babyinthacorner Wed 01-Feb-17 11:10:56

I've been on the tube with my DC before they had their jabs both times around, should be fine if you're travelling outside of rush hour. Both in terms of illnesses and practicality!
Don't know if this is relevant to you, but My DS is 7 weeks old and it seems like we've been surrounded by illness since he was born - midwife said if you're breastfeeding they have really good immunity so not to worry too much if they're exposed to people with colds. He's had a few sniffles himself but nothing serious.
Also, no one is going to expect a new mother to be apart from their newborn unless they absolutely have to be, again -especially if you're breastfeeding - so would imagine it'll be fine for you to take back in to the appointment with you.
Lastly, I find that the sling keeps DS calm (asleep, mainly!) and always have my close carrier with me, even if I'm using the pushchair as if he's screaming I can get him out and put him in the sling. Believe me you'll want that option if you have a screaming baby on a busy tube! It's pretty stressful even for the most zen-like mother!
Good luck!

babyinthacorner Wed 01-Feb-17 11:13:51

Last last thing - promise!
If you DO take the pushchair, you push it forwards getting ON the tube, but backwards getting OFF.
I learnt this to my cost the first time I used the tube with a pram - tried to push forwards getting off and the front wheels went down the gap 😳
Luckily lots of commuters rushed to our rescue, and one of them gave me that tip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now