Talk

Advanced search

Short break in Aug within a couple of hours of Glasgow - where?

(11 Posts)
OldLagNewName Sat 28-Jan-17 10:07:38

We're supposed to be having a staycation this year but an elderly relative who lives about 30 mins south of Glasgow has asked to see us, so we're wondering about two or three nights in that area. We can get to Glasgow in about 4 hours on the train and from there we'd either use trains or hire a car.

Where should we go? Probably not Glasgow itself because DP and I have been there quite a lot and we want something new to us. Fort William at 4 hours from Glasgow is a bit too much travelling, and I think Oban at 3 hours is maybe a bit much too. Kids (10 and 8) have only been to Edinburgh and are surprisingly appreciative of beautiful scenery. Is there any beautiful scenery or coast south of Glasgow? My impression is not, but I may be being unfair. And will we be eaten to death by midges?

SasBel Sat 28-Jan-17 10:11:27

Yes you will find midges! Largs is great. If you are prepared to take a ferry Skye and the Islands are fab.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 28-Jan-17 10:14:37

Or slightly north to Loch Lomond - Cameron house is lovely and I think they have lodges in the grounds

OldLagNewName Sat 28-Jan-17 10:57:14

Ooh, Largs looks great - love a traditional seaside, thanks. I'd love to go to Skye but that sounds like an awful lot of travelling for 2 or 3 nights.

We've been to Loch Lomand before but the kids haven't so that's a possibility.

Any other suggestions?

MarasmeAbsolu Sat 28-Jan-17 11:00:54

www.newlanark.org

comeagainforbigfudge Sat 28-Jan-17 11:04:57

Arran or bute might be more accessible if you hiring a car. Bout an hour from Glasgow city centre to the ferry

Depending when you going, there might be Highland games (normally around 20 Aug on bute)

OldLagNewName Sat 28-Jan-17 14:44:22

Ooh, Robert Owen and New Lanark! But also liking the idea of Arran because islands and ferries is fun and it's in the right direction for elderly relative.

Great suggestions, thanks!

dementedma Sat 28-Jan-17 14:48:45

Stirling.
You can do the Castle, Wallace Monument etc, pop down to Falkirk to see the Kelpies and the Wheel,and are a stone's throw from Loch Katrine( go on the steamship), and Loch Lomond and loads of fabulous scenery.

Cedar03 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:27:09

You can get to both Bute and Arran without a car - the trains go direct to the harbours. We've been to Bute in August and didn't get attacked by the midges at all. Arran has more to do on it and is a bigger island.

Cedar03 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:27:46

from Glasgow central - the trains I meant to say.

beatricequimby Mon 06-Feb-17 19:07:13

You could spend two or three nights on Millport. Cycling, lovely beaches, there is an outdoor activity centre that offers family breaks if that's your thing. You could also go down to Dumfriesshire. Rockliffe is lovely with the most beautiful beach. Dumfues & Galloway is good value for families, there is stuff to do if it rains more cheaply than in the a central Belt.

Bute and Arran are fab too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now