Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in Manchester

(11 Posts)
pico1 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:08:08

Am taking the DCs (10 & 8) to Manchester for Strictly Live next weekend. Can anyone recommend some fun things to do? We'll probably do the Football Museum. Lego Discovery place gets quite mixed reviews so not sure if it's worth it. We're staying at Hotel Football at Old Trafford so anything close to there or city centre would be great. Thanks!

alltouchedout Wed 25-Jan-17 11:10:41

MOSI is really good: msimanchester.org.uk/

TheLadyWithTheYellowHat Wed 25-Jan-17 11:13:05

Theres a mini seaworld(?) sealife(?) in the Trafford centre thats quite good, id personally avoid lego land as we went and thought it was pretty rubbish, the lowery is good for kids stuff, theres always a play on or a book reading.

TheLadyWithTheYellowHat Wed 25-Jan-17 11:24:39

Oh oh oh! I just remembered the air raid shelters in Stockport, I used to love going there when I was little really interesting smile but I am a bit of a history geekgrin

likewhatevs Wed 25-Jan-17 11:28:00

I agree with msimanchester.org.uk/. Its free and there is a brilliant interactive section in the main building. They are a good age for that (Mine are 9 and 7 and enjoyed it - even the stroppy 9 year old LOL) Its huge as well - so many different buildings so it can take all day.
Lego discovery is being overhauled I believe so sections will not be open.

theknackster Wed 25-Jan-17 11:38:22

It's Chinese New Year, so there will be loads on in the city centre including the dragon parade on sunday. You picked a great weekend to visit!

pico1 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:52:44

Fantastic! Thanks so much. Will definitely check out the MOSI. Does anyone know if there's a decent swimming pool/leisure centre close to Old Trafford?

Stringervest Thu 26-Jan-17 07:27:57

Check out Stretford Sports Village. It's a council run leisure centre. I've never been swimming there but it's very popular.

brokenheartdog Thu 26-Jan-17 07:39:41

Manchester Museum is also quite good, they often do great crafty stuff at the weekend but there is a section with live snakes, lizards, chameleon and frogs. They also have Dinosaur bones.

brokenheartdog Thu 26-Jan-17 07:41:09

www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/ is museum site

LittleLostRoeDeer Thu 26-Jan-17 07:45:05

Whitworth Art Gallery is great if they like art and crafty things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now