Talk

Advanced search

Glencoe in the summer with 9 and 5 yo - not an outdoorsy family

(20 Posts)
EnidColeslaw771 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:31:02

We usually go to Arran but I'm considering Glencoe and wondered - is there stuff to keep the kids entertained? My dh can't manage long walks and isn't really outdoorsy, but does like history stuff. He drives, I don't. I want to do some painting and drawing, which the younger DS would be into too. Has anyone holidayed there and has good advice?

Veterinari Mon 09-Jan-17 19:36:11

Glencoe village itself is very small - mostly just a base for hikers/outdoor types.

Fort William is nearby but again not a lot there if you're into hiking, biking etc

What about Stirling? Or Edinburgh? Both great for history and great landscapes

MoreProseccoNow Mon 09-Jan-17 19:56:34

I don't think there's a great deal in Glencoe itself. Maybe consider somewhere like Crieff Hydro or Aviemore (MacDonald resort or Hilton Coylumbridge). There's loads going on for kids there.

Sunbeam18 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:59:36

Nothing can beat Arran starsmile

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Jan-17 20:02:16

I am very outdoorsy and have been on holiday to/around Glencoe a lot. Not sure there is that much to fill non-outdoorsy holidays - Fort William tags itself "The Outdoor Capital of the UK" and the area is very geared up for this. On the non-driving side, the West Highland Line runs from Glasgow up to Fort William and Mallaig, with lots of Small and incredibly remote stations on the way.

EnidColeslaw771 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:03:19

Maybe I should have said we're from Scotland, I grew up in Edinburgh so not really a holiday destination!
Maybe we'll just Arran it again!

EnidColeslaw771 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:04:26

I like outdoorsy stuff and walking, but the rest of them would moan I think 🙄

M0stlyHet Mon 09-Jan-17 20:07:26

Speaking as someone who loves Glencoe and has climbed/ice climed there at all times of year. .. if you're not outdoorsy, go somewhere else. The visitor centre might entertain you for an hour then you'd find yourself with nothing to do.

Go that extra hour to Fort William. Kids can go rock-pooling, tgere will be boat trips, as a pp said you can go on the "Hogwarts Express" railway line.

museumum Mon 09-Jan-17 20:08:14

Better in Oban or Ft William. There's not a lot in Glencoe except the visitor centre and some pretty extreme walking.

EnidColeslaw771 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:08:56

Ooh that sounds good, I shall research cottages in and about fort William 😊
Eldest is a big harry potter fan

SealSong Mon 09-Jan-17 20:11:34

Go to the isle of Mull, loads to do there for non-outdoorsy people.

Veterinari Mon 09-Jan-17 20:12:20

Then what about Northumberland? Incredible beaches, lots of castles, Holy island etc

Or Aviemore - highland wildlife park, Scottish wildcat centre, castles

Or Inverness - lots of Forts etc

Out of interest what do you do on Arran? It's very pretty but hardly entertainment-central if you're not into walking...

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 09-Jan-17 20:13:24

What about Mull? There are some lovely beaches, boat rides etc.

Veterinari Mon 09-Jan-17 20:23:15

Ooh! Yes Mull is a good suggestion!

M0stlyHet Mon 09-Jan-17 20:33:03

Or Skye? Museums, some really nice restaurants, boat trips to see seals etc., Dunvegan Castle, pony trekking. (Bit thin on nice beaches though - I remember going to one with my rellies which was black basalt sand and smelled of rotten eggs when you dug into it to make sandcastles... though I exaggerate a bit - the beach in Glen Brittle is lovely.)

morningafterglow Mon 09-Jan-17 21:01:03

I'd second (third?) aviemore as a good all round family destination. The resorts mentioned up thread have a huge amount on site for kids. Glencoe is amazing but really not for the non-outdoorsy!

EnidColeslaw771 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:25:02

I've booked a cottage near fort William 👍
Thanks all!

NicknameUsed Wed 11-Jan-17 19:57:00

I was going to suggest Northumberland as well, but I am too late. Maybe consider it for another holiday. There is loads to do there.

3boys3dogshelp Wed 11-Jan-17 20:16:49

We went to Fort William last summer and the kids loved it. Have fun! Even if you're not outdoorsy the trip up Aonoch Mor in the cable cars is great and there is a very easy walk at the top (my 2 yo managed it!) my boys also enjoyed a boat trip on the loch to go seal spotting, hog warts steam train and watching the boats going through the lochs on the canal.

Serin Thu 19-Jan-17 21:15:18

Another Fort William fan. smile
Aonoch Mor is great, there is an indoor climbing centre, community centre with bowling/air hockey etc for when it's raining.
Look out for the otters in the harbour town car park smileand of course this train!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now