Talk

Advanced search

St ives holiday help???

(17 Posts)
Lucie89 Fri 06-Jan-17 21:59:32

I'm looking for a weeks holiday in st ives. I'd like either a cottage close to the beach with its own pool (just incase of bad weather)
Or a hotel/apartment in the center or on the beach that also has its own pool and but is child friendly (with 4 year old twins It definitely has to be child friendly 🙈)
Please help driving me mad trying to find somewhere!

redspottydress Fri 06-Jan-17 22:05:02

Try St Ives Bay holiday park or Beachside holiday park- both on the beach with pools. (Although they are actually in Hayle)

mummymeister Sat 07-Jan-17 16:41:53

Are you dead set on St Ives? it can be very touristy in the summer making parking a bit of nightmare. I don't really think st ives has what you are looking for - certainly not in the centre anyway. it isn't a huge place. That's why its driving you mad because what you are looking for doesn't really exist there. have you had a look on the visitcornwall.com website? would bedruthan steps hotel suit you better?

AuditAngel Sat 07-Jan-17 16:44:30

I also don't think you'll find somewhere right in St Ives with it's own pool. Mostly the properties are old fisherman's cottages and often don't have a garden.

Not sure why you think you could use a pool in bad weather, not likely to be an indoor one

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 07-Jan-17 16:46:54

You do mean St Ives, Cornwall rather than another one? There are lots of them.if you want somewhere on the beach, the biggest nearest beach you're probably thinking of is Carbis Bay just up the road. Or do you mean Porthmeor?

mirokarikovo Sat 07-Jan-17 16:51:40

That was the ideal holiday I had a hunt for too. Looking in October/November to book for July/August 2017 I found that (a) there was very little availability, mostly booked up and (b) what there was available was 3 times the price of a comparable holiday in a less gorgeous part of Cornwall and way out of my price range. I imagine that it is all completely booked up now.

Lucie89 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:45:46

It doesn't have to be st ives I'm just not sure on places in Cornwall 🙈
I want it to be close to lots of shops, pubs, restaurants ect.
Thanks

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 07-Jan-17 19:14:06

Close for driving or walking?

St Ives has lots of holiday parks nearby, but not all are in easy walking distance (to me that's around 45mins) of the town centre, which is where you'll fix the restaurants etc.

You'll not find a cottage with a pool in the town centre - it's an old fishing village, no room to expand let alone put in many new builds.

Tregenna Castle hotel is in walking distance, has a pool etc, and is not a million miles from the beach.

MrsMeggles Sat 07-Jan-17 19:30:48

I would say as PP that St Ives might not be the best option. You mention being close to ships, you might struggle with this as most Cornish coastal towns and villages don't have a lot, unless full of buckets and spades in the summer. Also what is your budget? Hotels like The Carbis Bay or Bedruthan Hotel or Watergate Bay Hotel further up the north coast near Newquay have lovely pools and spas and tons of facilities for children as well as being right on stunning beaches but certainly aren't cheap. Options like The Park at Mawgan Porth have lodges and pools but aren't a 'holiday park' in the sense of lines or static vans or there are lots of cheaper options with lots of facilities but more Parkdean. None of the above places have the shops options you mention but all have great restaurants either in the hotel or v close by.... I am local, so happy to answer questions. Nowhere. Street than Cornwall in the sunshine, but wise to plan for wet weather too!

MrsMeggles Sat 07-Jan-17 19:31:20

*Shops not ships obviously!!

Twozealotmorethan1 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:39:40

Gwel an Mor in Portreath is nice for little ones. Lovely lodge accommodation and onsite indoor pool, soft play and wildlife centre. Portreath itself is small but has everything you'd need.
There are some nice apartments with pool in Portreath too but I can't remember what they're called.

mirokarikovo Sat 07-Jan-17 19:52:19

If you aren't desperate for it to be st Ives go for somewhere other than st Ives.

Do you need a private swimming pool right by your apartment or is access to a nearby hotel swimming pool inclusive with your rental acceptable? If so how's this?

place in Newquay

Lucie89 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:56:31

What is Penzance like? Ive found a cottage there but never heard of Penzance.
Thank you

MrsMeggles Sat 07-Jan-17 20:05:34

First things first Penzance is an hour and a half drive further than staying around Padstow or Newquay - it's only a few miles from Lands End. But does have a station (the very end of the line!). Penzance is a reasonable sized town but not as arty or (dare I say it) as middle class a holiday destination as St Ives. I'm not sure if there are any great beaches in Penzance itself though, although it has the newly refurbed Jubilee Pools lido. but there are some gorgeous places in West Cornwall, St Micheals Mount, The Minack Theatre and Porthcurnow beach in particular need to be seen to be believed, Porthcurnow is IMO the best beach in Cornwall - white sand and the clearest sea! But nothing much else there in terms of facilities. Sennen Cove is also stunning.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 07-Jan-17 20:14:12

Penzance beach is pebbles. No one goes there (local BTW).

Penzance is only 15-20mins away from St Ives by car, and is a good jumping off point for all the places MrsMeggles has mentioned. West Cornwall is beautiful.

What sort of holiday are you envisioning, OP? Penzance isn't the most vibrant tourist resort, but the Jubilee Pool is worth being near. I spent most of my summers there as a kid instead of beaches!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 07-Jan-17 20:15:58

Just a word of caution on Porthcurno - the rip tide is vicious and the beach takes a sudden drop a few metres out from both the high and low tidelines. I would be careful in the water there if you have young children, even with the lifeguards.

mummymeister Mon 09-Jan-17 09:06:15

We really like Looe and the south east coast of Cornwall. went there first when ours were very young because its less tidal than the north coast. its also easy to get to avoiding the A30 road/car park! its not as far down as penzance etc but you can get to these places on days out. Loads to do in the area with kids and when we do go we stay HERE they have a swimming pool and farm animals and a few cottages - not a huge site with hoards of people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now