Talk

Advanced search

Cornwall early July

(8 Posts)
vvviola Thu 05-Jan-17 21:31:45

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where to stay in Cornwall in early July (fully aware that it's popular and we may have left it too late).

We'll be coming on ferry from Ireland with a 10 year old and almost 6 year old.

We went to Bluestone in Wales last year and enjoyed the pool, and the activities (although poor DD1 was a week too young for all the activities she wanted to do, and there was no flexibility at all), but also quite liked getting out and exploring.

DH and I are history buffs, and I like crafts (knitting and sewing mainly) and good food (but obviously with 2 children, no need for fine dining).

DD1 is all about sports, activities and general mayhem. DD2 is quieter, loves animals, is dying to get on a horse.

DH talks about camping but is really more of a luxury hotel type person. I'm happy with more basic, but would love somewhere with a spa on site or nearby.

Access to an indoor swimming pool is probably non-negotiable (in case of miserable weather) and we'd probably be better off with self catering (DD2 has some food allergies so sometimes it's nice to just cook and not have to worry about interrogating the restaurant staff).

So... any ideas? Or even any ideas of areas where we should focus our search DH just randomly came up with Cornwall as an idea and it seemed like a good one. Neither of us know the area at all

mamabluestar Fri 06-Jan-17 08:25:37

I've just logged in to ask a question about Cornwall too.

We've booked Hendra in Newquay for June. It was sold to me as being on a par with Butlins, which I know isnt everyone's cup of tea but my children will love. It does seem to tick a lot of your boxes though.

We booked through a breakfree promotion, which meant it was a bargain. Depending on your dates in July (I think they run upto the 17th) it might be worth a look?

vvviola Fri 06-Jan-17 09:34:30

Unfortunately (because I think the kids would love it), I would never get DH near a holiday camp (I think there was a very unpleasant trip to Butlins with an ex-girlfriend's family in his past).

He'd go with a big empty field for camping in (not my choice!) or self-catering cabins that are pretty well spaced out. basically he's a pain in the neck

confusednortherner Fri 06-Jan-17 09:40:39

We went to Hendra last year in August, Very last minute trip and they had a pitch free. It's converted my husband from saying it's too far to shall we book again! We loved it as a base, close to lots of things to do but I wouldn't say it's full on Butlins.

Tollergirl Thu 16-Feb-17 18:56:41

Not sure what your budget is but you could have a look at Retallack - luxury self catering with spa and outdoor activities including water park and flowrider. Near to Padstow and loads of lovely beaches. We live quite nearby and have never stayed but have used pool and my DD has been to waterpark. Are stables and ponypark very near too.

mummymeister Fri 17-Feb-17 10:40:38

When we go to Cornwall we stay HERE its a small group of cottages with a swimming pool, a childrens play barn and they have farm animals that you can feed every day. its in the nicer south east side of Cornwall which is a lot less busy than the North/Newquay type area. Definitely not Butlins! We found it when our kids were smaller. its not a huge complex but it does have all the facilities like the pool and play barn that you get with larger places.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 17-Feb-17 10:47:14

Retallack that Toller suggested is lovely. Or there is The Park - very nice and in a lovely area theparkcornwall.com.

OrangeSamphire Sat 04-Mar-17 16:58:24

If you're willing to consider a hotel, Bedruthan has fabulous views, good location, good food (they're great with allergies), and a brilliant spa onsite plus indoor and outdoor pool you could try Bedruthan

You might also look at The Point at Polzeath or Una St Ives

Retallack is a good shout too as is The Park. Of the two, I would choose The Park because Retallack is a little worn around the edges. We still had fun when we went - the flow rider was hilarious - but I'm not sure I'd go again. We live in Cornwall though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now