Talk

Advanced search

How bonkers is South Devon in August?

(24 Posts)
Whence Tue 03-Jan-17 10:09:06

Looking at both N & S Devon and feel North will be quieter but there seems like there is more to do in South (and possibly warmer?). We need dog friendly beaches (which both provide) and something that a 10 year old will enjoy (and if the dog can go all the better). None of us like steam trains, surfing or cycling! Is it bearable in August?

Chipsandonionrings Tue 03-Jan-17 10:15:26

We used to live there and everywhere is busy that time of year. I love north Devon and had many happy holidays there. Check out east Devon - it's often overlooked but lovely. Seaton, sidmouth, exmouth. Loads to do.

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 03-Jan-17 10:18:56

I live in Devon - north Devon is just lovely if you are really active, plus easy to get to north Cornwall too.

SloanePeterson Tue 03-Jan-17 10:21:35

A lot of beaches aren't dog friendly over the summer season, it's worth checking on that. The prices are insane but my grandparents had a caravan in the south hams and we spent many happy summers there as children, it's a great part of the world. I lived there until recently and miss it. But we ended up paying a huge sum for quite a run down little cottage last summer when we went to visit some friends there. Look for places slightly out from the coast as that'll decrease the price a little.

GieryFas Tue 03-Jan-17 11:44:51

Find somewhere with lots to do locally, otherwise you can spend hours in the lanes in queues while someone slowly reverses to the nearest passing place. If you have a beach and a pub in walking distance, you can avoid using the car too much and then it's OK. It's not so much the number of people (apart from the real tourist hotspots), it's the traffic that's the problem IME.

Whence Tue 03-Jan-17 14:17:19

Hmm, we were in Somerset last year and everything seems to be a third more expensive in Devon. Saunton Sands looks great for dogs.....

Sprog19 Wed 04-Jan-17 20:35:57

We were in Beesands a couple of years ago in August and it wasn't too crowded. N Devon is my favourite though - the Hartland Peninsula is lovely.

JaneAustinAllegro Wed 04-Jan-17 20:40:08

I am that driver slowly reversing to the nearest passing point, sorry :-(

I find the roads really stressful in the S Hams in August, particularly if the hedges haven't been cut recently. They're hairy enough if there aren't other cars / tractors around and this year I definitely altered my plans to avoid driving so much. That said, the beaches weren't too crowded and there was space in the pubs etc.

Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 04-Jan-17 20:44:43

Saunton and Woolacombe. Some dog friendly self catering and Mortehoe campsite 'North Morte Farm' doesn't take bookings and always has space (stunning views). Lots of coves not populated - for instance Rockham Beach or Lee Bay - so ok dogs. There are always quiet places in N and S Devon.

The ten year old might like surfing though? And horse riding (both widely available N Devon) and canoeing

Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 04-Jan-17 20:45:37

Braunton burrows other side of Saunton and the dunes in between are doggie heaven

Rockmegently Wed 04-Jan-17 20:56:06

Both rammed in August but I'd say North is quieter and not as densely populated, we regularly holiday in both. A few pointers for you in north Devon/ torridge
- torridge/north Cornwall cheaper than croyde/ woolacombe etc and not as "trendy"- depends what you're looking for!
-Many beaches are only dog friendly Easter to October. Instow is very dog friendly plus lots of nice pubs to eat.
-for your dc, Milky Way adventure park, it also has an aqua park and wake boarding which is great fun
- tamar lakes in north Cornwall is not far - water sports like kayaking etc plus great walks and cycle paths
Bude (north Cornwall) is lovely too and has an indoor pool with wave machine

HTH x

Rockmegently Wed 04-Jan-17 20:57:43

I meant to add they let us take our dog into the Milky Way, every place except soft play, that's why we liked it

Tanito279 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:02:28

South Devon is absolutely horrific in august and not particularly dog friendly. But I say that as a resident. People visit every year with their dogs because they love it here.
Probably not helpful.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 04-Jan-17 21:04:37

Oh gosh, whatever you do, don't count on it being warm in South Devon in August. You are pretty much guaranteed a week of rain.

Blacksox Wed 04-Jan-17 21:08:28

We have been to Devon many times in August and almost always had good weather.

Our favourite place though, for a dog friendly break, is Bigbury. Marvellous beach there.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 04-Jan-17 21:11:36

You must have been different years to me then Blacksox!

fluffandsnuff Wed 04-Jan-17 21:16:20

Have you thought about basing yourself on the moors? Less grockels (tourists) on the high moor and lots to do. I'm afraid you will need to "get in the hedge" with the car though- it's part of the experience! (just check for dry stone walls first) smile

Blacksox Wed 04-Jan-17 21:16:29

I have chosen to forget the one year it rained, Bibbity!

We have come to believe that Bigbury has some sort of micro climate as it is always hot and sunny there #fact

SallyGinnamon Wed 04-Jan-17 21:17:23

We prefer the area around Salcome like Thurlstone and Hope Cove in South Devon. Little rural coves rather than big long town beaches of the North coast.

The roads are a nightmare though ...

Ame40 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:18:38

We had a lovely week last August near Beer. Wasn't too busy.

lapsedorienteerer Wed 04-Jan-17 21:21:21

Must it be Devon? Sounds like what you are really looking for can be found in Pembrokeshire, quieter and very dog friendly grin......alternatively Northumberland.

hatchypomagain Thu 05-Jan-17 12:46:18

We love woolacombe, but it depends on your 10 year old. ours will walk, surf, swim, cycle, rock climb, coasteer and canoe. It's a very outdoorsey place, the beach is ok for dogs on most of it, the small area nearest the town isn't for dogs, then the mid section is dogs on leads and then the rest down to puttsborough is dogs run free. Please pick up your dog poo though, it spoils the beach for everyone.

Whence Fri 06-Jan-17 14:16:01

Thank you all. After extensive searching just cannot find the accommodation we require at a price we can afford. And the roads do sound terrible. We often holiday in Wales (all over Wales) and the roads are tiny but very quiet. We have decided to ditch Devon and go to Norfolk!

lovelearning Fri 06-Jan-17 14:42:03

go to Norfolk!

The Boudicca Way is named after the legendary warrior Queen of the Iceni, whose tribes once inhabited the area, and passes through the beautiful, unspoilt rural countryside of South Norfolk and the Waveney Valley where visitors will find sites where unusual wildlife and flora are present.

Dogs need to be on leads on some parts of the Boudicca Way

www.boudiccaway.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now