Talk

Advanced search

Love to know what mum's think of the Scottish Baby Box poem

(479 Posts)
toomuchpink Sun 01-Jan-17 20:44:23

Love to know what mum's - especially those in Scotland - think of this poem. It is going into the Scottish Government's new baby box of freebies for parents of newborns.

Tempted to ask for alternative suggestions which truly capture the experience of having a baby. But perhaps for some people this is what it is like?

Jackie Kay
Welcome Wee One

O ma darlin wee one
At last you are here in the wurld
And wi’ aa your wisdom
Your een bricht as the stars,
You've filled this hoose with licht,
Yer trusty wee haun, your globe o' a heid,
My cherished yin, my hert's ain!

O my darlin wee one
The hale wurld welcomes ye:
The mune glowes; the hearth wairms.
Let your life hae luck, health, charm,
Ye are my bonny blessed bairn,
My small miraculous gift.
I never kent luve like this.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 01-Jan-17 22:44:53

I think the whole thing is a waste of money and the poem is a bit twee. Definitely not suitable for many parents suffering from pnd or similar.

toomuchpink Mon 02-Jan-17 09:18:55

Yes, the PND thing struck me too.
I also thought baby boxes money should be targeted rather than given to everyone generally.
Anyone else have a view on poem/ baby boxes?

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 02-Jan-17 09:20:48

I barely understand a word of it! grin I'm guessing you have to be Scottish!

AyeAmarok Mon 02-Jan-17 09:23:01

Load o' pish.

grin

MiladyThesaurus Mon 02-Jan-17 09:25:32

The poem is dreadful. It's really, embarrassingly bad.

If they had to have a poem, couldn't they get someone to write a decent one?

dementedma Mon 02-Jan-17 09:25:42

Aye, because anyone in dire need of a box from their baby to sleep in is going to be filled with thoughts of a warm hearth and a house full of light!hmm
They do know that hardly anyone in Scotland actually speaks like that?

AllTheBabies Mon 02-Jan-17 09:28:02

I am Scottish and due dc3 in the summer so I will probably get a box but that poem is shite. It's too Scottish for the sake of being Scottish.

I like the idea of the boxes in general but I doubt they'll get used for their intended purpose by most. I'd use it if I didn't already have a crib. I can see it being a hipster/trendy thing to use them but I live in Glasgow and I think most people here would be aghast at the idea of putting a baby in a box or gender neutral clothing.

dementedma Mon 02-Jan-17 09:28:35

I love the way the line "My small miraculous gift" has its correct spelling, yet we have "mune" for moon, and "glowes" for glows.
Should it not read " Ma wee muraiculus giftie "..grin

Heirhelp Mon 02-Jan-17 09:28:48

I think the boxes have to be given to everyone to normalise them so people don't feel stigmatised using the content.

OccasionalNachos Mon 02-Jan-17 09:28:49

It is a bit twee (think I understood most of it!) but sweet enough.

I am mindful of a thread on here when they were first announced that said baby boxes would be really popular with well off middle class Scandi-chic mummies who were not in need of any of the stuff, whereas mothers who might struggle to get the equipment and stuff they needed, would perhaps not be keen & still spend al their money on fancy stuff and flowery headbands. Despite being a little bit of a classist opinion I can definitely see this being a thing.

MiladyThesaurus Mon 02-Jan-17 10:31:17

It's wurld and luve that get me. They'd be pronounced by Scots exactly the same way if they spelt them properly.

Also why 'yer trust wee haun' but 'your globe o' a heid'? Even if it's autocorrect in the OP, why would you want to refer to a baby as having a huge, round head?

Footle Mon 02-Jan-17 15:53:27

Yesh, pish.

MrsJayy Mon 02-Jan-17 15:57:41

Im with Aye load of pish is that actually in the box ? What a complete waste of money these boxes are its being rolled out in the next county to me and I can already here ma weans no sleepin in a box 😂

ScarlettO89 Mon 02-Jan-17 16:03:46

Load of pish and so are the boxes! Waste of money 🙄

QueenLaBeefah Mon 02-Jan-17 16:07:11

Mawkish drivel.

I wonder how many extra HCPs Scotland could have had instead of giving middles class voters yet more freebies?

MrsJayy Mon 02-Jan-17 16:08:38

Oh god hear* I saw the boxes on the news the other day with Nicola looking through them thinking they look like fancy file boxes hmm

Maverickismywingman Mon 02-Jan-17 16:08:55

Finland have had baby boxes for years.
I disagree with the BBC but here is an article www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415

I think the point is "to give all babies the same start in life". They are starter boxes.

As for the poem. I hate it.

Cherryskypie Mon 02-Jan-17 16:10:54

It's based on this. It's a lovely idea.

QueenLaBeefah Mon 02-Jan-17 16:14:30

It's a lovely idea which will cost £6 million per year. The money would have been better spent on extra midwives or health visitors.

mistermagpie Mon 02-Jan-17 16:17:23

I live in Scotland and am due DC#2 in April (so won't qualify for the box I don't think), I think the poem is dreadful and cringey and the whole box idea is misguided. I currently have a DS who is 18mo and hasn't seen a health visitor since he was 4 months, (no 12 month checks where I live apparently) and I would prefer that the £6m was spent on more HVs and better midwifery care.

MrsJayy Mon 02-Jan-17 16:20:45

Its been rolled out in Clackmannanshire and Aberdeenshire this year the smallest and biggest (i think) counties

MoreProseccoNow Mon 02-Jan-17 16:22:00

The boxes & contents don't offend me, but I wish they were only going to those who need them. I wouldn't have accepted one had they been available when I had my DC, or would have donated it to charity, refuges etc.

RJnomore1 Mon 02-Jan-17 16:23:33

Poems ducking awful.

Box without the scandi health checks is a waste of money

Another half arsed SG policy

WellErrr Mon 02-Jan-17 16:25:59

Poem is awful.

Box idea is lovely. UNLESS it's in a country where there is a severe shortage of midwives and health visitors.

Oh wait....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now