Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

48hrs in Edinburgh

(10 Posts)
Yesitsmeagain Wed 28-Dec-16 20:48:56

A special birthday, a posh hotel, two adults, two young children and 48hrs.

What would you do?

Or, what can be done?

Fadingmemory Wed 28-Dec-16 21:24:06

Plan a mix of inside and out - the weather can be dire. Lots to see centrally. Edinburgh castle (the whole shebang or take in the views from the Esplanade), Camera Obscura nearby, Museum of Childhood in the Royal Mile, National Museum in Chambers Street, Our Dynamic Earth, Palace of Holyrood House (maybe less appeal for weenies), climb Arthur's Seat, walk up Calton Hill. Walk by the water at Portobello (eat at Reds, Dalriada or The Beach House) - easy bus or car trip from centre. Various indoor play areas (can't vouch for any of these). For eating in the centre try Hemma in Holyrood Road, some museums have cafes. La Favorita in Leith Walk has good pizza but is out of the centre. Yocoko Noodle Bar in South Bridge. Matinee at The Playhouse - several restaurants nearby (Pomegranate is good and not expensive). Have a great time!

Northernlurker Wed 28-Dec-16 21:25:06

The zoo is lovely and can reached by bus easily

Shadowridge Wed 28-Dec-16 21:25:18

I would do a hop on hop off bus tour to get you bearings.

helensburgh Wed 28-Dec-16 21:26:30

Escape the tourist trap and hop on a train to Glasgow for a lovely friendly citywink

MrsMoastyToasty Wed 28-Dec-16 21:29:11

If you're iinterested in the Royal family u then catch the bus to Leith and visit the Royal Yacht .

Shadowridge Wed 28-Dec-16 21:30:11

It is too cold for the zoo for me atm - it is on an very exposed hillside and will take one of your days. Museum on Chambers St (free) is a must- ask at the info if the roof terrace on the 7th floor is open - it is a must if it is . As is a climb up Carlton Hill for the view - easy for little ones (don't plan a hike up Arthurs seat). There is not much of interest in the Castle or Holyrood Palace for wee ones - i would save your money and enjoy the view from the esplanade instead.

Yesitsmeagain Wed 28-Dec-16 23:07:04

Lots of great ideas - thank you!

We've been a couple of times but both pre-kids. Just milled around, ate at The Witchery and got pissed!!

DH v keen to see the Brittania so good to know it's easy to get to.

We're going in May so hopefully won't be too cold!! (Wanting to make sure there's enough for us to do before booking!)

Helens Glasgow would be top of my list if we could fly there direct from our home city. smile

OutandIn Wed 28-Dec-16 23:27:30

There will be enough to do in Edinburgh for 48 hrsfgrin!

midsomermurderess Sun 01-Jan-17 20:33:48

A wander down from the centre to Stockbridge and then up through Inverleith Park to the Botanics. Stockbridge has lots of cafes, the Park has a play area and the Botanics, aside from having lovely views and being lovely, has glass houses which are pretty interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now