We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tickets for train trip : London-Manchester-Liverpool-Newcastle-nottingham-London

(15 Posts)
sacbina Mon 17-Oct-16 14:42:24

10 day trip to take in lots if relatives ☺
2 adults, 2 kids around Easter time

Where do I start to get best deal on tickets?
Thank yoooo

lovelybangers Mon 17-Oct-16 14:44:30

Firstly if dc are under 15 buy a Family and Friends Railcard. You'll save £££

I look on Trainline for tickets.

EmbarassedQuestion Mon 17-Oct-16 14:45:52

Does it have to be that way around?

melibu84 Mon 17-Oct-16 14:47:33

last time i was travelling nationally, my partner and I used trainline.com a month in advance. We spent £100 altogether to go from London - Peterborough- Birmingham - London.

sacbina Mon 17-Oct-16 15:02:45

Doesn't have to be that way round no. DCs only 6 and 4 so thanks for the family card tip ☺

heatherwithapee Mon 17-Oct-16 15:09:01

You won't need to buy a ticket for DC who is 4, as long as you're ok with not having a seat. My 4 & 6 year olds can fit in one seat, or often if there's a spare empty seat the guard is happy for us to use it.

sacbina Mon 17-Oct-16 17:56:38

Omg! Just the London to Manchester for 2 adults and 1 kid is £123!

NapQueen Mon 17-Oct-16 18:28:42

Do either of you drive? If you can but don't have a car hiring one may be cheaper than lots of train fairs.

Kel1234 Mon 17-Oct-16 18:34:15

Railcards are good for discounts.
I used to use train line to book tickets. But now I book via virgin direct- because I can choose my seats and there's no booking fee. But I only go direct from 1 place to another.
But I'd say train line would be good to look at

blibblibs Mon 17-Oct-16 18:39:53

With the trainline webpage you can set up an alert for cheap tickets. Think they go on sale 12 weeks before travel.

sacbina Mon 17-Oct-16 18:47:04

We do drive but had this fanciful vision of leaving the car at home and hopping on and off trains visiting family around the country. A train adventure, but not at that price 😵

Sovain Mon 17-Oct-16 18:53:25

Yes, the trick is to make use of Railcards.

I bought one for a trip DH and DS were taking to London a couple of years ago. The cost of the card (£30) was more than covered by the discount.

I use Trainline to find out ticket prices - can set up an alert for when the cheapest prices are released. It's generally 12 weeks prior to travel date. They will email you when these prices are on sale.

We live in W Yorkshire and go to London by train regularly. If I book it in advance we can often get returns for about £20 each - which is pretty good! (that's not even using a railcard).

So, it's just a case of spending some time onlineand finding the right tickets.

Sovain Mon 17-Oct-16 18:54:16

I suppose at Easter the prices might be higher though - popular time to travel.

heatherwithapee Tue 18-Oct-16 19:34:22

The cheaper advance tickets go on sale 10-12 weeks in advance so it's too early to be booking for Easter.
In my region, the tickets go on sale each Saturday morning and sell out fast. Practise with dates in the future so you can work out when you'll need to buy them.

PotteringAlong Tue 18-Oct-16 19:35:46

Drive. You will save a fortune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now