Talk

Advanced search

UK hotel with adjoining room for toddler?

(18 Posts)
Ffsusernamesallgone Sun 09-Oct-16 22:22:38

DH, DD 2 yo and I have just come back from a weekend away in a hotel. We hadn't bargained on the fact that DD is such a light sleeper. We put her to bed at 7pm and retreated to the bathroom to let her fall asleep. Unfortunately every time we tried to escape she woke up! It wasn't relaxing as we couldn't even get up to go to the loo in the night for fear of waking her. Is there such a thing as a hotel with a small adjoining room so we can close the door and at least talk or watch TV? Don't really want to have to pay out for 2 rooms with connecting door as that will be expensive. Anyone got any ideas? If not we'll have to book an apartment in future.

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 09-Oct-16 22:24:18

I always forget how badly we all sleep in the same room until we go away to a hotel for the weekend. You have my sympathies. No idea about adjoining rooms, though.

mamahibou Sun 09-Oct-16 22:31:31

If it's not too far The Auchrannie Spa Hotel in Arran has bunk rooms. We stayed there in May and our two year old was in heaven. His one wee set of bunk beds right next to ours. Lots of fun things for kids to do to, softplay, swimming pool, pottery etc. Not to mention the outrageous excitement for a 2 year old of getting on a ferry to get there!

Ffsusernamesallgone Sun 09-Oct-16 22:31:57

DH woke up and opened his water bottle for a drink and woke her up at 4.45am. That was us up for the day 🙁

mamahibou Sun 09-Oct-16 22:32:19

Autocorrect fail! Own wee set of bunk beds in the room right next to ours!

Ffsusernamesallgone Sun 09-Oct-16 22:33:23

Sounds like an amazing place but I need a door between our bed and hers. None of us sleep if we share.

Ffsusernamesallgone Sun 09-Oct-16 22:34:14

Our messages crossed. I'll have a look.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 09-Oct-16 22:34:41

We go to Portavadie in Argyll and stay in an apartment. That way we can shut the door while she's sleeping and retreat to the living room/sauna!

AppleMagic Sun 09-Oct-16 22:35:27

Lots of hotels have one and two bedroom suites and it's usually a lot cheaper than getting interconnecting rooms. I always phone to double check that the bedroom is properly separate with a closable door though.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 09-Oct-16 22:35:41

Would a suite work for you, if you set up her bed in the living area of the suite?

TheSconeOfStone Mon 10-Oct-16 12:01:46

We have the same problem. We stick to tents and static caravans now. Bedruthen steps near Newquay is very child friendly and has a seperate little rooms off the main room. Well it did 10 years ago. Worth a look.

Nan0second Mon 10-Oct-16 12:08:18

Future inns have suites for about £100 a night. DD slept in the lounge half, we slept in the bedroom in a super King!. Money well spent

lanbro Mon 10-Oct-16 12:11:03

We stayed in Peebles Hotel Hydro in Scotland which had family rooms with a separate room with bunks. It was very shabby 2 years ago but I believe it's been done up - fab childhood memories from 30 years ago!

mummymeister Mon 10-Oct-16 21:31:20

most hotels will not let you put a 2 year old in an adjoining room because its not really safe. if you have a 2 bedroom suite then this is a different matter but you couldn't stay in say a Travelodge/premier inn type place and do this. you will find places with little alcoves but really if its a big problem and you can afford it then its a 2 bedroom suite. had you thought about a cottage for a short break next time instead?

Artesia Mon 10-Oct-16 21:34:25

Watergate Bay in Cornwall has brilliant family rooms, exactly the sort of thing you are describing.

KarmaNoMore Mon 10-Oct-16 21:38:04

We go for 2 bedroom apartments for similar reasons (family suites are normally far more expensive)

itlypocerka Mon 10-Oct-16 21:45:21

Lots of hotels that have pairs of rooms that interconnect but can also be independent if they are needed. In some cases you don't end up paying double what you would for one room. When we stayed at a Doubletree Hilton in a pair of rooms like this, the second room was half price on the condition that it was only occupied by under 12s.

bigchangesabound Mon 10-Oct-16 21:46:29

We put the baby to sleep in the bathroom, then we could have lights on, watch tv, etc... And then lifted the cot back into the room when we were ready to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now