Talk

Advanced search

Northumberland and Scotland rail trip

(9 Posts)
frazzled74 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:41:50

We have decided that this summer, we would like to spend 2 weeks exploring but ww will have to go everywhere by train. My idea is a few days in Northumberland and visit Alnwick castle, then we would like to go on to Scotland. Where would be good to stay without a car? I've looked into North Berwick/Edinburgh which looks lovely but we've been to Edinburgh a few times and fancy somewhere different. I was thinking a cottage or lodge for 4 nights in Northumberland, then a hotel for 1-2 nights on route to a Scottish holiday cottage for 1 week. Has anyone any recommendations of locations and/or specific hotels/cottages please? 2 adults and 3 children .

beatricequimby Wed 28-Sep-16 21:01:04

Berwick on Tweed is on the mainline. Look for a cottage in Spittal which is the nice brach area or the Youth Hostel is new and really nice. Alnwick doesn't have a station. You will need to go to Alnmouth then bus/taxi.

In Scotland you could get the train to Oban and then go to some of the islands. Or Mallaig and do similar. Avoid Fort William, it is a bit dismal.

beatricequimby Wed 28-Sep-16 21:03:43

You could go by train to Mallaig then boat to Knoydart, most remote place on UK mainland. No car ferry, so nobody takes a car. The train fare from Glasgow is very good value.

charlestrenet Wed 28-Sep-16 21:06:47

Second the suggestion of Berwick on tweed. You can get buses from there to Alnwick, Lindesfarne, the resort where you get boats to the Farne Islands and Bamburgh for days out and there is a small fairly wild beach that is beautiful.

charlestrenet Wed 28-Sep-16 21:09:47

Spittal beach is more popular/typical resort type of place.

frazzled74 Thu 29-Sep-16 08:46:49

Thank you, is spittal within easy reach of Berwick upon tweed without a car? I think I've found a cottage there that would be ideal.

beatricequimby Thu 29-Sep-16 18:35:31

Yes it is all part of the same wee town. If you arrive at the station itvis about ten minutes walk to the middle of Berwick then you can get a bus to Spittal which is pretty quick. Or it would be very cheap in a taxi. We stay in Spittal regularly and walk into the middle of Berwick but you would probably want a bus or taxi for your luggage.

Spittal has a nice playpark beside the beach with a little splashpark. It also has a leisure centre for if it is wet. There is the most fan second hand bookshop in Berwick called Berrydin books with a great children's section, really cheap.

OllyBJolly Thu 29-Sep-16 18:46:09

If you're travelling up the East Coast might be better to stay on that side. There are plenty of beautiful places and the train journey is lovely.

If you go past Edinburgh there are some gorgeous places between Edinburgh and Dundee. Dundee itself has a lot going on, especially for kids. Then if you want to go further north it's a fab train trip up to Aberdeen. You could look at cottages on caravans around Arbroath and Montrose.

If you wanted to turn it into a loop, you could then do Aberdeen to Inverness then back with a stop at Aviemore or Pitlochry. Aviemore has loads to do.

Enjoy!

frazzled74 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:37:20

Thank you, lots of great advice , I'm going to spend the evening planning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now