Talk

Advanced search

Help planning Dorest holiday...Abbotsbury and Lyme Regis??

(8 Posts)
littlemisssunshine32 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:10:42

Off to stay for a week in Corfe Castle at the start of October with DH and 16mo DS, trying to organise what to do (I'm a bit obsessive about planning holidays!!) A couple of specific questions...

Do we need a whole day to do the Swannery in Abbotsbury? Was originally planning a half day there with a couple of hours at the gardens, though just seen there is a lot to do at the swannery and everything is slower with a toddler in tow!

Also, planning a day trip to Lyme Regis which sounds lovely, but what exactly should we do there?

Thanks!

lindauk5 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:16:06

Monkey World at Bovington is worth a visit, there's a tank museum next door as well.
I've not been to the Abbotsbury since I was a kid but I reckon I could only keep my 2 year old entertained for half a day before the tired and grumpiness kicked in.

mellicauli Sun 11-Sep-16 22:52:43

Abbots bury has 3 parts- the swannery, the tropical gardens and some kind of kids farm/adventure playground. It works out better value to go to all 3. We went to the gardens which were nice and we had a picnic there, not sure it would be good for a toddler, who would probably like the farm. I whole things bit uninspired.

TAnk museum is great. Ticket is valid for a year.

Lyme Regis is pretty to walk around, nice little shops. There are some Victorian gardens to walk around and crazy gold for the kids. Walk along the Cobb. Look at the boats. Sit on the beach. You can walk along the undercliff. Lots of dino themed museums. you can go on a fossil walk on the beach up the road in Charmouth There are mackerel fishing trips from Lyme Regis.

littlemissneela Sun 11-Sep-16 22:58:07

Lovely area! We stayed at a campsite at Fleet a few years ago, with an amazing view over Chesil beach.
Ive not been on it, but there is a steam train from Corfe castle which would be great fun for kids.
There is a lighthouse on Portland.
Charmouth beach is nice and you might be lucky and find some fossils.

IsItMeOr Sun 11-Sep-16 23:05:58

Studland is a lovely sandy beach, if it's not too cold (or wrap up warm and go play with buckets and spades anyway).

Steam train is lots of fun.

Swanage has the wonderful Chococo chocolate shop and cafe. Thank me later.

Monkey world is great (there have been umpteen series of a programme about them and their work saving primates across the world).

Tank museum probably a bit too old for now.

Scott Arms in Kingston is a nice food pub, and has a good garden with a great view of Corfe Castle.

There are a couple of play farms around - Farmer Palmer's seems to be the most popular, and there is usually lots to do. DS loved it.

We've been on many holidays to the Corfe Castle area with DS, and never got as far as Lyme Regis...Abbotsbury was fine for a visit when he was small, but we've never been back.

neonrainbow Mon 12-Sep-16 07:41:44

Lyme regis is lovely. Don't bother with the "aquarium" there, total rip off. But dinoworld fossil museum is good if any of your kids are into fossils. Pecorama pleasure gardens is about 20 minutes away from lyme and is brilliant for kids. They don't even have to like trains (big on miniarure trains there) as there is indoor and outdoor play areas and mini golf.

neonrainbow Mon 12-Sep-16 07:42:44

Just seen youve got one 16 month old, don't go to dinoworld then unless you or your oh like fossils.

Offline Mon 12-Sep-16 08:08:09

Lyme Regis is a lovely little town. Walk along under the cliffs to the Right as you face the sea to find the ammonite pavement: huge ammonite fossils exposed in the rocks. Not specifically toddler friendly, but interesting to you if you like that sort of thing. There is a small sandy beach .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now