Talk

Advanced search

4yo in front seat?

(8 Posts)
PickleLickle83 Fri 12-Aug-16 10:20:39

My 4 year old son suffers with travel sickness (has done for years), he has a Kwells Travel Sickness tablet before we leave if the journey is going to be over an hour and half (that's normally when the sickness starts)

We are going on a 3 hour + journey in a weeks time, normally my husband would be with us but I'm taking the kids on holiday with my mum and nephews and meeting them there so it'll just be me, a 4yo and a 2yo....My question is - would it be better for my son to travel in the front seat to help reduce the sickness? He would of course be in his high back car seat, I just didn't know what the legal side of this is and whether it actually makes a difference, sickness wise, to be in the front instead of the back of the car?

TIA

Missgraeme Fri 12-Aug-16 10:30:13

Have u tried the travel bands? They work really well for my 10year old. Not sure air bags and a 4 year old would be safe. I only let my tall 10 year old in the front as she doesn't need a booster now.

CwtchMeQuick Fri 12-Aug-16 10:32:08

My 4yo always sits in the front, I just turn the airbags off.

Sitting in the front massively reduces my travel sickness so I'd say if you can turn the airbags off then try it.

Bloopbleep Fri 12-Aug-16 10:33:16

Can you put his car seat in the middle backseat position so he can still see the road out front? We do that on long journeys as my Dd gets travel sick too.

PickleLickle83 Fri 12-Aug-16 10:56:43

We've tried the bands but sadly they didn't work for him. Kwells travel sickness tablets are brilliant and he hasn't been sick since we've been using them, I think I'm just worrying bcos I'm on my own. When he has been sick before, I'm normally the one leaning over the back trying to catch it in bags confused

Although I've got a 4x4, the back seats aren't the best and his car seat doesn't sit flat in the middle at the back bcos my 2 year old is in the younger style car seat which is quite bulky and overlaps into the middle seat.

I thought the airbags only had to be turned off if it was a rear facing car seat in the front, not a normal high back booster seat? It's all so confusing confused

Hoppinggreen Sat 13-Aug-16 18:43:18

You don't need to turn the airbag off, that's just for rear facing baby seats.
Just push the seat back as far as you can.
My DD used to get very bad travel sickness and being in the front did help a lot

Andbabymakesthree Sat 13-Aug-16 18:46:33

Car seat expert here. You have to check what your vehicle manual says about using car seats in front seat. What to do with airbag and where to position vehicle seat.

Also consider if using middle seat in back is possible. Consider blocking side windows you.

Andbabymakesthree Sat 13-Aug-16 18:46:56

Sorry just read about middle seat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now