Talk

Advanced search

Big cottages for multiple families

(10 Posts)
StepfauxWife Wed 27-Jul-16 20:42:45

I've got a long awaited weekend with friends in the diary - we're coming from all over the country and have settled on the New Forest / Dorset as our meeting point.

I'm looking for a cottage or something similar but am hugely struggling to find anything that isn't ludicrously expensive.

We need ten bedrooms. One option is camping but as there are a few babies coming, that might not work. Also, we are going in October when it might not be so warm.

Any ideas gratefully received!

mummymeister Wed 27-Jul-16 23:34:08

There are quite a few really good websites that you should start with including groupaccommodation.com. bigholidayhouse.com groupstays.com Are you looking at October half term or outside of the school hols and what do you class as ludicrously expensive? if its October half term week then they will be charging for a full week let not a short break.

I definitely would not go camping in October with a group. really, really don't. not if you have small children amongst you. If its wet or cold it will be bloody miserable.

have a look at groups of cottages where they are side by side rather than something with 10 bedrooms. you could easily find a 4,3,3 bedroom cottages in a row.

rollonthesummer Wed 27-Jul-16 23:35:27

Welcome cottages?

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 27-Jul-16 23:36:24

A ( v posh) cousin used to do this, getting chalets together. Brill idea, cheap cheerful, with enough private room.

LyndaNotLinda Wed 27-Jul-16 23:38:42

Massive houses are heinously expensive I'm afraid. I think chalets/groups of cottages are probably a cheaper bet. How about Sandy Balls (obligatory snigger)?

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 28-Jul-16 00:35:58

If you don't mind eccentric layout, the landmark trust has lovely places. But not nec where you want them.

Tiredbuthappy1970 Thu 28-Jul-16 01:16:12

Some youth hostels will let you hire the entire place.

navylily Thu 28-Jul-16 01:24:22

Youth hostels will let you hire the whole hostel if it's off season. Otherwise several caravans in a caravan park are cheaper than a big house with 10 bedrooms.

StepfauxWife Thu 28-Jul-16 09:29:57

Thank you! These are excellent ideas and I hadn't come across those websites.

We are going at the start of October before half term. The cost of large cottages is upwards of £3000 which seems a little dear for a weekend break.

mummymeister Fri 29-Jul-16 11:20:34

£3K does seem high but depends I guess on what facilities you are getting with it. you might be better off looking at groups of cottages. Not sure how far in distance you want to go but we stay HERE and they have 8 cottages all close to each other and a group room where you can have meals and a party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now