Cameras on our Cottage ???

(41 Posts)
HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:23:15

We have stayed in quite a few cottages over the years and have never had security cameras on them. We are currently staying in a decent cottage hired directly from the owner and it has new security cameras on the front door and the back door and overlooking the back garden (which has an outdoor hot tub in it).

I noticed when we arrived the camera over the front door rotated to view us when we came in which I guess could be a sensor rather than a remote mechanism.
<hopeful?>

I just can't decide how I feel about this, I think I feel quite creepy especially about the camera overlooking the back garden. The owner lives nearby so could check on the property easily.

What would you think about this?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 27-Jul-16 19:30:51

Maybe they have it for when the cottage is empty?

But yes I wouldn't like the one overlooking the garden and Id be tempted to put a bag over it while staying there and remove when you leave.

CatherineDeB Wed 27-Jul-16 19:33:00

I would put something over all of them. Not on at all. If the owner doesn't like it then you can be sure that they are watching you, which is remarkably off and creepy.

HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:33:12

Ah! Good idea about the bag.

I would think it was for when it was empty if I hadn't seen that camera move on the front door. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. blush

HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:34:23

Thanks, Catherine - I really don't like it at all. I will cover them. Is it worth mentioning in the review?

TwoLeftSocks Wed 27-Jul-16 19:37:10

Are there any indoors?

CatherineDeB Wed 27-Jul-16 19:40:07

I would Hawkings, I would be really unhappy about it.

If I had installed cameras in my holiday home I would make sure that I reassured people who had paid money to stay there that they were not to spy on them, but for security when the property is empty.

Newes Wed 27-Jul-16 19:40:27

I would contact the owner and ask them now tbh. We rent through an agency and if that happened to us I would be straight on the phone asking why they were there in an occupied cottage.

HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:40:33

Two not that I can see and believe me, I gave it a good looking.

I can't cover them with bags as they are dome cameras so aren't in a tripod - they rotate inside a dome. Quite expensive set up my DH says. A sticker won't work. Not sure how to cover them! any ideas?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 27-Jul-16 19:44:50

Spray with shaving foam or squirty cream?

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Wed 27-Jul-16 19:45:18

They are probably ip cameras. Find the router and turn it off

HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:45:51

Will we have wifi if I turn it off?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Jul-16 19:47:19

We're you planning on having sex in the hot tub?wink

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Wed 27-Jul-16 19:47:22

No!

SaggyNaggy Wed 27-Jul-16 19:47:27

For a dome could you use alastic bag and elastic band to hold it on?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Jul-16 19:47:36

**were

HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:48:49

Fuck I've just seen that the cable from the one over the back door runs into the adjacent locked garage. The garage has been finished out with sky lights and looks like it has electricity. Probably where the IP router would be?

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Wed 27-Jul-16 19:49:37

Or find the cameras power supply and unplug it!

HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:50:02

Sex not likely but naked children running around yes. But I have kept everyone clothes except for the weeing in the hedge incident.

StuffandBother Wed 27-Jul-16 19:51:20

Urgh, I don't like that confused

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Wed 27-Jul-16 19:52:10

Some of these cameras have a hard drive recorder box, some don't and use wifi to connect to the houses main internet router.
But they both needs power from somewhere

PaulDacresMicroPenis Wed 27-Jul-16 19:53:21

I reset our router and it knocked out the settings for our cameras, but if only took a few minutes to set up again. If you can find the hard drive the cameras are recording onto & disconnect that from the router then the owner won't be able to view the feed remotely.

WipsGlitter Wed 27-Jul-16 19:54:59

I don't not hr happy about this at all. Very creepy.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Jul-16 19:55:49

Hmmmmm I'd spray the lens with shaving foam.

HawkingsMead Wed 27-Jul-16 19:58:02

The cameras are mounted flush to the underside of the overhang (not sure what it's called) so there are no cables exposed. DH says the cable going to the garage is electricity.

DH is going to buy elastic bands to fasten bags around them. That's the best idea I think. And keep the children clothes anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now