We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Scottish Highlands Holiday Suggestions Please ...

(9 Posts)
WottyMcWottFace Mon 25-Jul-16 22:41:30

DH is desperate to explore the Scottish highlands and I've trying to find somewhere nice for us and 2 kids (2&7) to stay for a week in summer hols. I've found loads of different options but I've not a clue what the places are like has anyone got any suggestions please. I've been told Aviemore or Inverness are be nice but I'm struggling to find anything child friendly and not rediculously expensive.
Grateful of any suggestions smile

ididyeah Mon 25-Jul-16 22:49:22

Hi I went to the Croft at Cranford last year - I went on my own but I think they have a family room with a cot in it and enough space for four people, and there's an enclosed area where you can be outside too. Nice people and good breakfasts! Not sure how full they might be though. They were about five or ten miles from Inverness. I'd go again (but not this year as I'm skint sad)

Haggisfish Mon 25-Jul-16 22:51:47

Dry island near gairloch.

capercaillie Tue 26-Jul-16 07:35:41

West coast is nice - arisaig area particularly - lovely beaches and boat trips. Not sure on late availability though!

AgentProvocateur Tue 26-Jul-16 08:00:34

Yes, I'd go west coast too. But there's little accommodation anywhere in the north of Scotland at the moment (I was trying to book a short break for friends next week and couldn't find anywhere)

wonkylampshade Tue 26-Jul-16 08:04:46

Torridon, Applecross, Sheildaig, Assynt all fantastic if you're into awesome scenery, beautiful coastline and relative peace. You could hire a cottage somewhere coastal. If your kids are anything like mine they'll enjoy that far more than places designed to cater for kids.

Have a great time, wherever you go!

LAmusic Tue 26-Jul-16 08:11:27

Strathpeffer, we found a lovely cottage that sleeps 6 about 5 minutes from Strathpeffer / Dingwall

Wyldfyre Tue 26-Jul-16 08:14:09

The "top" of the highlands can be more touristy.
I can recommend the lower highlands - Killin/Kenmore area.
Tay Highland lodges (half way between the two) has an activity centre with activities including sailing and archery.
Kenmore has a reconstructed Iron Age house, with is a great place to take the kids as they do dress up and show ancient techniques such as fire lighting. They also hold special events, such as Iron Age cookery in the summer, and the Halloween event is magic - torchlit procession and storytelling.
It's also a short drive to leads of other places.

WottyMcWottFace Tue 26-Jul-16 08:28:44

Thankyou so much! Il have a good look at these places today! Hopefully we can find a late deal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now