Where to go for Christmas?

(12 Posts)
KP86 Wed 13-Jul-16 16:24:22

We are a family of 3, DH, DS (will be 2.8) and me, looking for somewhere fun to go for a few nights at Christmas time. DH's brother will also likely join us, and if we have a big enough room/self-contained apartment will stay with us, or have his own room in the hotel. DH's brother likes the idea of a castle.

Where can you recommend in the UK? Not too many requirements, besides not toooooo cold, and we would go out for Christmas lunch so in an area that has a good range of food options. Even a general region which is pretty at that time of year and not too slushy from rain would be a good pointer.

We haven't lived in the UK that long and so haven't explored much outside of where we live in the south east. We spent a night in Dover last Christmas, which was nice, but would like to check out somewhere different this year.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

OP’s posts: |
Millipedewithherfeetup Wed 13-Jul-16 16:38:07

My sil and family rented a large farmhouse near St Ives (Cornwall ), last year, they had an amazing time !

LizzieMacQueen Wed 13-Jul-16 16:40:09

Edinburgh, can't guarantee no rain but it is beautiful and has plenty of apartments to rent over Christmas.

KP86 Thu 14-Jul-16 16:07:17

Bump for other ideas

mummymeister Fri 15-Jul-16 10:20:11

Cornwall is lovely over Christmas. they do ice skating at the Eden project and usually lots of Christmas things going on. you will need a good size budget though as Christmas is usually as expensive as school summer holidays. We stay HERE and I think that they might be open over Christmas.

KP86 Fri 15-Jul-16 11:46:55

Looks like Cornwall is on the short list.

Thanks everyone, this is great smile

Hastalapasta Fri 15-Jul-16 12:00:59

Another vote for Edinburgh! Cambridge is good too.

serin Tue 19-Jul-16 23:12:19

Hever castle in kent if you fancy a bit of history.

mrsmortis Thu 21-Jul-16 10:18:08

How much money do you have to play with? Do you want a lot of organised activities or something more laid back?

Somewhere like Ickworth has great packages but they are on the pricey end: www.ickworthhotel.co.uk/special-offers/festive-season-2016

MrsAmaretto Sat 30-Jul-16 22:28:55

Edinburgh. Superbly beautiful at Christmas, even in the rain & plenty to do for all ages

Sallycinnamon1974 Sat 30-Jul-16 22:52:10

St Ives is a great place to stay and really good for New Year, you have to go in fancy dress though for New Year's Eve, it's compulsory.

KP86 Sun 31-Jul-16 23:32:55

Argh, this thread went too far down my list and I missed the replies.

We live quite close to Hever Castle, so would probably do that as a day trip rather than staying overnight.

Budget isn't set, but could be fairly generous if needed, maybe £200/night? If it's a truly special experience then we don't mind spending.

Edinburgh is also on the list! Lots to choose from.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in