We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to go for Christmas?

(12 Posts)
KP86 Wed 13-Jul-16 16:24:22

We are a family of 3, DH, DS (will be 2.8) and me, looking for somewhere fun to go for a few nights at Christmas time. DH's brother will also likely join us, and if we have a big enough room/self-contained apartment will stay with us, or have his own room in the hotel. DH's brother likes the idea of a castle.

Where can you recommend in the UK? Not too many requirements, besides not toooooo cold, and we would go out for Christmas lunch so in an area that has a good range of food options. Even a general region which is pretty at that time of year and not too slushy from rain would be a good pointer.

We haven't lived in the UK that long and so haven't explored much outside of where we live in the south east. We spent a night in Dover last Christmas, which was nice, but would like to check out somewhere different this year.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Millipedewithherfeetup Wed 13-Jul-16 16:38:07

My sil and family rented a large farmhouse near St Ives (Cornwall ), last year, they had an amazing time !

LizzieMacQueen Wed 13-Jul-16 16:40:09

Edinburgh, can't guarantee no rain but it is beautiful and has plenty of apartments to rent over Christmas.

KP86 Thu 14-Jul-16 16:07:17

Bump for other ideas

mummymeister Fri 15-Jul-16 10:20:11

Cornwall is lovely over Christmas. they do ice skating at the Eden project and usually lots of Christmas things going on. you will need a good size budget though as Christmas is usually as expensive as school summer holidays. We stay HERE and I think that they might be open over Christmas.

KP86 Fri 15-Jul-16 11:46:55

Looks like Cornwall is on the short list.

Thanks everyone, this is great smile

Hastalapasta Fri 15-Jul-16 12:00:59

Another vote for Edinburgh! Cambridge is good too.

serin Tue 19-Jul-16 23:12:19

Hever castle in kent if you fancy a bit of history.

mrsmortis Thu 21-Jul-16 10:18:08

How much money do you have to play with? Do you want a lot of organised activities or something more laid back?

Somewhere like Ickworth has great packages but they are on the pricey end: www.ickworthhotel.co.uk/special-offers/festive-season-2016

MrsAmaretto Sat 30-Jul-16 22:28:55

Edinburgh. Superbly beautiful at Christmas, even in the rain & plenty to do for all ages

Sallycinnamon1974 Sat 30-Jul-16 22:52:10

St Ives is a great place to stay and really good for New Year, you have to go in fancy dress though for New Year's Eve, it's compulsory.

KP86 Sun 31-Jul-16 23:32:55

Argh, this thread went too far down my list and I missed the replies.

We live quite close to Hever Castle, so would probably do that as a day trip rather than staying overnight.

Budget isn't set, but could be fairly generous if needed, maybe £200/night? If it's a truly special experience then we don't mind spending.

Edinburgh is also on the list! Lots to choose from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now