Sheringham - any tips?

(11 Posts)
Thurlow Fri 10-Jun-16 12:09:42

We have a week in Sheringham soon. Normally we go to Cromer so we know all the local NT places and the like, but is there anything more specific to Sheringham we should do? Where are the best places to eat? Whereabouts is best for rockpooling and crabbing? Any other exciting tips?

SoMuchToBits Fri 10-Jun-16 12:14:38

The steam railway is very good. Lovely ice cream shop too (Ellie's), which does loads of flavours including ds's favourite, Christmas Pudding flavour!

onadifferentplanet Fri 10-Jun-16 13:32:41

West Runton for rock pooling and there's a lovely café with friendly staff. No visit to Sheringham is complete without at least daily visit to Ellie's, who stock masses of flavours of the locally made Ronaldos Ice Cream , Salted Caramel and Stem Ginger are firm favourites in this household.

Thurlow Fri 10-Jun-16 13:34:49

Thank you smile The ice cream will definitely be a daily treat then. Can we walk to the rock pools or is it best to go and park there?

Hassled Fri 10-Jun-16 13:35:04

Sheringham Park - it's peak rhododendron time right now, so you may still see some (depending on how soon is soon). But even without them, it's a lovely walk with some amazing views.

ClaraLane Fri 10-Jun-16 13:35:24

Go to Sheringham park for a nice wander round, you can also go on the steam trains from Sheringham too. Strait's does the best fish and chips and the bakery at the top of the high street does amazing cakes. Crabbing is probably still better at Cromer due to the pier but I've never actually been crabbing in all my years living here!

ClaraLane Fri 10-Jun-16 13:36:04

If you like horses there's also a good horse rescue place in west Runton so you could do a combination horse and rock-pooling trip.

MadHattersWineParty Fri 10-Jun-16 13:44:32

You could walk an alpaca. They're lovely. You walk them on the salt marshes. It's Wells so a bit of a drive but it's worth it.

www.alpacatrekking.co.uk

Thurlow Fri 10-Jun-16 14:03:36

I'd forgotten the horse sanctuary - we've been there before but that would be really nice to combine with the rock pooling one day.

Hassled, we say the rhododendrons last year at Sheringham Park and they were absolutely beautiful, will definitely be heading back there again. Which stop do you need on the steam train? I quite like the idea of a day ticket on the trains and some nice walks around.

onadifferentplanet Fri 10-Jun-16 18:12:49

You would need to drive to West Runton, take the road to the beach and there's a car park right on the cliff tops opposite the Cafe

lljkk Fri 10-Jun-16 18:45:15

Splash, if weather is bad. Go about 2pm it's a lot quieter than morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now