Talk

Advanced search

Pontins - Camber sands. Any thoughts?

(20 Posts)
Stars66 Tue 07-Jun-16 21:26:07

We wanted to get away for a short weekend and were considering pontins in camber sands as I know the beach there is lovely and Hastings will make a nice day trip if we get bored of the beach.

But. The reviews on trip advisor are AWFUL.
Has anyone been? We really want a cheap and cheerful place not too far from London. Dd is 3 and I'm sure would love the evening entertainment as long as they play let it go
Can it be as bad as the reviews?

Stars66 Wed 08-Jun-16 19:03:08

Bump...

Anyone?

MistyMeena Wed 08-Jun-16 19:05:19

Yes, it is that bad. Sorry.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 08-Jun-16 19:06:39

You are right, Camber Sands is lovely. But the Pontins looked so depressing and sad, we had planned to get a day pass, bit couldn't face going through the gates in the end. We stayed in a small self-catering place at the other end and had a wonderful week.

Stars66 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:47:50

Thank you!

Maybe there's a reason for it being so cheap then!

PointlessUsername Thu 09-Jun-16 22:50:59

Everyone I know that has been left after the first night. Us included the pool looked like stagnant pond water.

Busy and dated not super clean. The beach is beautiful though. There is a caravan park up the road that has better reviews.

Abominablebride Thu 09-Jun-16 22:51:17

I did 3 nights there last year. The kids loved it, good pool & playgrounds. Didn't try the evening entertainment so can't comment.
Chalet was passable, clean enough fir the price we paid.
Eateries awful.

Surrounding area is nice, Rye especially is worth a visit

ohtheholidays Thu 09-Jun-16 22:57:59

What ever you do don''t stay with pontins OP it is horrendous and I really do mean that.

We stayed once,there was fighting amongst adults and children and the security were useless to say the least.

Everything was scruffy,worn,dirty,lots of equipment was broken.
We'd paid extra for where we were staying and as soon as we walked into it we couldn't believe what it looked like,the kitchen window was broken,the frige didn't work properly they had to replace it,the place was messy(it hadn't been cleaned)scruffy and damp,youngest DD at the time walked into the bathroom and the towel rail fell off the wall and nearly knocked her out and she hadn't even touched it.
Dirty,tatty old bedding,one group they threw out after 2 days of them having all night partys and they were right near us.It was a bloody nightmare,I wouldn't go back if someone offered me money!

ohtheholidays Thu 09-Jun-16 22:59:20

Camber sands is a lovely little place,just pick somewhere else to stay rather than with Pontins.

Craftycakey15 Fri 10-Jun-16 20:34:53

Please can I know where you stayed in Camber self catering?

Stars66 Fri 10-Jun-16 23:06:19

Perscecia - sorry for wrong spelling where did you stay?

Cocochoco Fri 10-Jun-16 23:09:30

I've stayed at the Park Resorts in Camber and it's fine (basic but pretty clean).

AvaCrowder Fri 10-Jun-16 23:14:18

I stayed there. It was dire. My dh threatens me with it. The beach and a couple of pubs near it are really nice. But that park <<shudders>>.

Lurleene Fri 10-Jun-16 23:16:16

The only nice thing I can say about Pontins Camber Sands is that it isn't as grim as Pontins Brean Sands.

However it is in a beautiful part of the country.

deejayz Fri 10-Jun-16 23:16:26

It is that bad. There are better holiday parks in Hastings that are close enough to Camber.

MissWimpyDimple Fri 10-Jun-16 23:16:55

Park resorts is ok. Not exactly five star but basically ok.

Pontins is dire. Looked like some sort of hideous prison camp

hamabeads Fri 10-Jun-16 23:17:46

I have walked past and from the outside it looked awful. Like a prison.

GettingScaredNow Fri 10-Jun-16 23:26:29

Have stayed at park resorts at camber sands the last 2 years and going again in a few weeks.
Clean, basic with nice pool. Never used kids entertainment. Beach is close by.
Cheap enough and some stuff to do during the day (crazy golf, climbing frames, bike rental)

Never been to po tins though

frazzled74 Fri 10-Jun-16 23:26:34

Camber sands beach is lovely, nearby dymchurch is also really nice to visit, feels like stepping back in time. I think the park resorts campsite was marginally better than pontine. There is another site at dymchurch which I've stayed at which is ok! If you don't have too many expectations and use it as a base, you will have a great time. Dcs will love it. Take the steam train from hythe to Dungeness and have fish and chips at the pub on the beach, it's stunning .

PerspicaciaTick Sat 11-Jun-16 01:36:56

We booked through this company www.bramleyandteal.co.uk/camber-sands-holiday-cottages/
I think the cottage was called The Dunes (might be wrong) but there are quite a few different cottages in the White Sands development.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now