Talk

Advanced search

London trip advice

(8 Posts)
leosayershair Wed 25-May-16 23:31:52

I want to plan a trip to London (3 days) travelling by train to Kings Cross with DS who is 9. We would be going to the Imperial War Museum on the day we arrive, Tower of London the next full day & possibly another attraction if we have time on the day we leave.

i haven't been to London since I was a child and don't know the tube/bus routes. Can anyone recommend where to stay near to the attractions we are planning or would it be better to stay in two different places? Is it easy enough to get from Kings Cross to War Museum? Any recommendations for a third attraction?

Would be grateful for any advice.

WriteforFun1 Thu 26-May-16 00:30:13

If you're going to IWM straight from kings cross, get the Northern line to Elephant & Castle and either walk or change on to Bakerloo Line and go one stop to Lambeth North for a shorter walk. I don't have children so no good on those things but if you fancy something else, then you could have a look at the South Bank and see what's on, or try the Natural History Museum, or perhaps go on a London Walk, there's loads and they are themed. They're at walks.com , good fun and a good way to get some exercise while learning.

mummymeister Thu 26-May-16 09:21:53

stay in one place and pick the cheapest hotel. you have to spend really big money in London to go from basic to better so its a good idea to save it to spend on the going out bits rather than the sleeping bits.

R2G Sat 28-May-16 08:41:11

Have a look at Late Rooms secret rooms, we got a 5star hotel with pool for £99. Anywhere central is really fine.
I would suggest a trip to hamleys toy store - very fun, lots of interactive demonstrations going on.
Also - can be expensive. Up to £200. But an evening trip to the theatre is magical. Me and my 9 year old went to see Charlie and the chocolate factory.
If you go in August, they have kids month where it is buy an adult get a child free on kids shows - book ahead.
If you are going walking along the south bank there is a great pizza express at the very start of the walk, by the millennium bridge. Ask to be seated upstairs, lovely river views

Jenijena Sat 28-May-16 08:50:59

What about leaving day 3 for an exploring tour? Either a tourist or ordinary bus to do the 'sights' - Buckingham palace, Tower of London, St. Paul's cathedral, Big Ben etc.? If you are walkers, it's something you could do with decent shoes. Walking along the south bank (cross the road from Big Ben and walk along the river in the direction the water flows) is definitely fun. Lots of things to see, entertainers etc.

Do you play monopoly? Could try doing some of the monopoly square.

The public transport is so good that even if you wander off track you can get back again easy enough.

If you're tempted by the theatre, there's s kiosk in Leicester Square which sells reduced tickets for today's performance.

leosayershair Sun 29-May-16 16:44:20

Thanks for all the replies, will definitely look at the theatre. DS has mild cerebral palsy so bus tour sounds ideal smile

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Sun 29-May-16 16:58:21

This page has details of three bus routes that cover quite a few tourist attractions. They're cheaper & more flexible than the tour buses, especially since your DS will travel free.

franksidebottom Mon 30-May-16 04:38:37

The bus tour has commentary, if you look on wowcher and sign up for the london area they have a money off voucher for a tour at the moment plus it's open top which is a novelty in itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now