Petrol stations
Orchards

SleepingTiger Fri 13-May-16 06:59:23

What are yours?

WellErrr Fri 13-May-16 07:01:53

Cheques
Antibiotics

WellErrr Fri 13-May-16 07:02:27

But I don't believe any of yours won't be around!

Becoolio Fri 13-May-16 07:03:50

Cash
Paper

LineyReborn Fri 13-May-16 07:04:46

The NHS (sadly)
The BBC (sadly)
Cars in city centres
The Royal Family as is
And Brucie may finally leave us

KP86 Fri 13-May-16 07:06:29

Facebook
TV news

Cass168 Fri 13-May-16 07:07:39

If he survives 2016, Brucie will never leave us.

happystory Fri 13-May-16 07:08:12

^Beaches??
^
CDs
DVDs

Postmen/women

ArgyMargy Fri 13-May-16 07:08:39

Elephants
Tigers
Rhinos
Polar Bears
Mumsnet

BubsAndMoo Fri 13-May-16 07:24:51

Newspapers
Scheduled tv programmes
Tobacco
Cheap flights
Plastic carrier bags

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where you think marriage or beaches are going to go though- what's the theory there?

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Fri 13-May-16 07:37:53

I think the op thinks that people will either that marriage is either an old fashioned concept and being someone's wife is a spence of belonging to someone else, or with the declining of church attendance people aren't going to want a religious service or that marriage has been devalued by the raise in divorce. In any case there's going to be some people who want to be married, not everyone thinks you belong to your husband, there's civil ceremony's and some marriages just don't work out.

Beaches I'm not sure, maybe she thinks we'll build on them, but I really don't see how you can stop a natural geographical feature forming.

Orchards again I'm guessing she's thinking about everywhere being over populated, never been anywhere rural op? Plenty of space and trees!

Mine then

Books sadly
Tbh the Internet as we know it,
Free schooling
NHS

exLtEveDallas Fri 13-May-16 07:54:37

The NHS
The EU
Soap Operas

SleepingTiger Fri 13-May-16 11:28:53

Ok, mine were very wildcard thoughts, but;

Marriage - society will become less monogamous, having other partners will become the norm, coveted and desired.
Beaches - rising sea levels and storms will wipe out beaches quicker than they are replaced by marine action, in the longer term they will reform. By the way it is already happening.
Street signs - mobiles/devices including glasses will overlay exactly what we need to know about a physical structure without having the street metal graffiti to contend with. Again already happening.

Btw - I can't find this in _Chat? How do I get it transferred there?

SleepingTiger Fri 13-May-16 11:34:26

Orchards - it will become more efficient to grow all fruit inside light structures, also artificial pollination will be available, especially if bees decline.

ThisCakeFilledIsle Fri 13-May-16 11:37:13

Orchards?

I'm love buying fruit trees for me and my fami!y.

Not quite orchards but maybe i am helping the countertrend of micro orchards!

TheABC Fri 13-May-16 11:45:35

DVDs
City centre car parks
The EU ( in its current format)
Cab drivers
Royal Mail

Machine automation will take over most repetitive jobs (for example, check out tills at supermarkets) and the investment behind the autonomous car means it will be a reality in the next decade. Google, Uber and quite a few of the car manufacturers are driving it. So even skilled jobs such as taxi driving are at risk.

Coupled with this is a huge shift towards consumption as a subscription model. You can already see it with books, music and movies - why clutter up your home with DVD's when you can just download and go? Eventually, we will see this more in the physical world as well - why own a car that spends 80% of its time on your driveway? Especially if you can just call it up on demand (self driving again). So cars remain in constant circulation, reducing the need for car parks.

Ok, I cheated with the EU. The five presidents report has already set up the timetable for a federal superstate and Italy will implode (or possibly leave?) soon if they don't sort out the rest of the mechanisms needed for monetary union. So its going to be a very different entity to what we have today.

JinRamen Fri 13-May-16 12:41:28

Interesting thread!

I would say
NHS
EU
UK as it is now
Most thing automatic
And subscription model both as theABC said

ReallyTired Fri 13-May-16 12:47:34

Somethings have already disappeared like public phone boxes.

We will have automated lorries and cars. I think we will still have car ownership, but the cars will drop us off in town and then return to pick us up rather than being parked.

An interesting challenge will be the replacement of fossil fuels to run all these automated vechicles.

The English languge will die as teens will only be able to communicate in a serious of grunts or via facebook. Text speak will become standardised English grammar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now