Talk

Advanced search

Holiday destinations accessible from London, travelling by train

(19 Posts)
Puddleduck21 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:34:24

Hi, can anyone suggest a seaside holiday destination easily accessible by train from London. I'm thinking south coast/Devon/Dorset but am open to anything really. We just want somewhere you can get to easily by train (a 5-10 min taxi journey would be ok at the other end but not much more), with a nice beach and plenty to do if the weather is pants but not too touristy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any specific recommendations for self-catering accommodation? Thanks so much!

ivykaty44 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:40:31

How far by train? Could you or would you go to France and travel to the west coast?

ivykaty44 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:41:08

Sorry see its in UK section - ignore me

DataColour Fri 08-Apr-16 19:47:33

Broadstairs, Margate, Whistable etc?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 08-Apr-16 19:49:10

Tenby

outputgap Fri 08-Apr-16 19:50:00

You could go to North Berwick, a very nice (and naice) seaside town outside Edinburgh. You take the east coast to Edinburgh, approx 4 hrs 30, and then half an hour from Edinburgh to North Berwick on the commuter train. No need for taxis. Plus you can have a day trip v easily into Edinburgh. And there's a great Seabird Centre in NB which our kids love.

KnockMeDown Fri 08-Apr-16 19:50:41

Isle of Wight? I can recommend a my holiday house grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 08-Apr-16 19:51:48

Isle of Wight, Lymington

Quiet non touristy destinations accessible by train don't really exist in Dorset.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Fri 08-Apr-16 19:53:05

Devon - Exmouth, Dawlish, Teignmouth

frazzled74 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:53:06

Northumberland, North Norfolk, broadstairs, Weymouth.?

Stillwishihadabs Fri 08-Apr-16 20:05:44

Hastings and Rye about 2hours ?Camber sands is beautiful, there is loads to do in Hastings if the weather sucks (aquarium, smugglers caves, indoor play centre, museums).

tethersend Fri 08-Apr-16 20:15:27

St. Ives- pretty straightforward, but a long journey. It's utterly worth it though, had some great holidays there.

We're trying Tenby this year.

KnockmeDown, is Isle of Wight doable without a car once you're there?

tethersend Fri 08-Apr-16 20:16:36

Carbis bay just before St.Ives is quieter with a great beach.

wannabestressfree Fri 08-Apr-16 20:16:53

I second broadstairs, Margate etc (bias)

Puddleduck21 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:20:08

Thanks so much for all these great suggestions. Lots of research to do. Tether, we went to Isle of Wight quite recently, without a car. There is a train that serves some areas, buses are fairly frequent and there are some hop-on hop-off routes, but it wasn't that easy to get to all the places we wanted to go to. I think if we went again I'd investigate car hire...

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sat 09-Apr-16 17:32:56

Have a look where the Night Riviera sleeper train goes. It begins/ends at Paddington and Penzance. We had a weekend staying at the pub in Sennen Cove that way (bus goes from Penzance to Sennen via tacky Land's End). Sennen is stunning and the sleeper train is a terrific experience.

Puddleduck21 Sat 09-Apr-16 23:28:56

I'd never heard of the Night Riviera sleeper. Thanks - that looks amazing. Will definitely consider that.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sun 10-Apr-16 11:48:24

You're welcome smile www.seat61.com (run by a train fanatic) has lots of info. on it.

LIZS Sun 10-Apr-16 11:55:28

Bournemouth/Weymouth/Lyme Regis?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now