Talk

Advanced search

Snowdonia / North Wales with 2 toddlers

(19 Posts)
ButterflyOfFreedom Fri 01-Apr-16 12:53:01

We're thinking of going for a break in September time - me, DH, DS 4 & DD 2.

We've heard great things about Snowdonia / North Wales though having never been we're looking for recommendations of where to stay (location & accommodation wise, we're thinking of hiring a cottage) and of things to do.

Thank you in advance!

3nationsfamily Fri 01-Apr-16 14:50:16

We have just booked a fab cottage through this local company dioni.co.uk they have loads all over North Wales of all sizes and locations. Can't wait until our trip in July- we have active teenagers so our plans such as zip lining and canyoning will be very different to yours I'm sure!

mummymeister Sat 02-Apr-16 11:30:20

Porthmadog is a good base. you have the two railways, lovely walks along the beach at borth y gest towards black rock sands and places like criccieth for the castle and there is a rabbit place out that way as well. the greenwood centre is good for the little ones and mine always enjoyed the centre for alternative technology because they have craft activities and pond dipping. loads to do around there even in bad weather.

Dowser Sat 02-Apr-16 22:35:41

We hired a fabulous caravan at haven hafan y mor last octer. Just over £100 for four nights.

Couldn't fault it. Lovely clean site too.

Tuiles Sat 02-Apr-16 22:38:41

Some lovely places on anglesey for fabulous beaches and walking, also close to snowdonia for all that it offers. Greenwood Forest Park is a fab day out for little ones. Lots to do around Llanberis too.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sat 02-Apr-16 22:50:36

I was going to say Greenwood Forest Park too. Our DC loved it. There are also Caenarfon and Conway castles nearby with lots of potential for dressing up as Knights/Princesses. Plus proper beaches with damp sand to build castles with and rock pools to explore. There are steam trains if it rains, or Llandudno, a nice seaside resort with plenty to do to.

icclemunchy Sat 02-Apr-16 22:58:13

We stayed at gwynfryn farm last year. Lovely place very child friendly with plenty to do on the farm but close to the beach/short drive from snowdonia

icclemunchy Sat 02-Apr-16 22:59:14

Oh and deff visit the rabbit farm. My eldest was 4 and still talks about it now!

Toffeelatteplease Sat 02-Apr-16 23:10:43

You have to go up mount snowdon on the mountain railway and down a mine.

This mine tour here [www.llechwedd-slate-caverns.co.uk/deepminetour/ here] is fantastic and totally unforgettable. Although I also love king Arthurs Labyrinth (near the Centre for alternative technology mentioned above) for a very different experience.

Papergirl1968 Sat 02-Apr-16 23:32:35

We love Tywyn, which is kind of mid Wales/southern snowdonia but fabulous. We usually stay in a house overlooking the beach. Very family friendly place - beach, play area, paddling pool, swimming pool, couple of amusement arcades, and steam railway in Tywyn. Crabbing at Aberdovey a few mins drive. Corris craft centre and a beautiful ruined castle about 30 min away. Barmouth with its small fair is about a one hour drive or 20 min or so by train. Rental company called Lounge Lettings has a good selection of holiday homes.

Papergirl1968 Sat 02-Apr-16 23:35:56

Oh yes, forgot that Corris has King Arthur's Labyrinth. Not been to CAT. Also, Tywyn has a cinema and both Aberdovey and Barmouth have donkey rides.

mamaduckbone Sun 03-Apr-16 15:09:25

We've spent many holidays in North Wales from when I was little through nieces and nephews and our own boys - love it!
Porthmadog has the Ffestiniog railway, and a little along from there is Borth y Gest where you can park and walk along the coast path to a lovely beach.
Black Rock sands is a big wide sandy beach great for little ones.
Criccieth has the best fish and chips (from the chip shop up the hill) and a castle.
Beddgelert is pretty and we discovered Llanbedrog this time although your littlies wouldn't manage the amazing walk up to the iron man on top of the hill.
Have a fantastic time - it's one of my favourite places in the world.
mummymeister I just typed all that then realised you'd written more or less the same - we must have had similar holidays!

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 07-Apr-16 17:39:20

Thanks all! smile

Yes, I've heard of Greenwood Forest Park - sounds like a must!

What are the main / best places to stay near there then?

DanielSpaniel Sat 09-Apr-16 18:42:24

Greenwoon is between Caernarfon and Bangor, so it's easily accessible from Anglesey, Llandudno or Porthmadog. Anglesey might be a good base for you as there are great beaches - especially Llanddwyn. There's also Anglesey Sea Zoo, PiliPalas (a butterfly place that also has indoor & outdoor play areas) and Foel Farm.

DanielSpaniel Sat 09-Apr-16 18:43:46

That should say Greenwood not Greenwoon!

InDeNile Mon 11-Apr-16 21:56:18

I tell you this slightly grudgingly, because Llanddwyn (especially the island) is really too good to share, but as Daniel has already mentioned it above - I concur grin.

This company has some gorgeous cottages.

ButterflyOfFreedom Tue 12-Apr-16 13:40:57

Thanks all - will be doing some research very soon though Anglesey seems a good bet! smile

lavazzzalover Sun 17-Apr-16 17:36:39

Greenwood is great! Train in Llanberis along the lake too but be aware, the soft play called The Den is closing at the end if this month and moving to Pwllheli.

Caernarfon has a soft play but aimed more towards the older kids.

Dwyfor rabbit farm is great.

Cottages, I recommend these:

www.parciau.co.uk/

brodaventura.m.webs.com/site/mobile?dm_path=%2Fplashafodcottage.htm&fw_sig_url=http://brodaventura.webs.com/&fw_sig_access_token=8d8bd67b6dbc94ad55b1e7e9f739f034b585d3f6&fw_sig_premium=0&fw_sig_social=1&fw_sig_session_key=c6cbe87dd4df0df8c296c46205f9dfb1d1f199dd3172c8f7b8e9442e1f918f67-38127709&fw_sig_locale=en-US&fw_sig_permissions=none&fw_sig_time=1460910935807&fw_sig=d988f4579125a898bfcb40ba07a0e09d&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fw_sig_partner=webs&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fw_sig_potential_abuse=1&fw_sig_site=38127709&fw_sig_api_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fw_sig_tier=0&fb_sig_network=fw

Jojoes Fri 03-Jun-16 23:07:14

Getting lots of great ideas. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now