Talk

Advanced search

What to do in Edinburgh

(25 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 24-Mar-16 11:17:52

We have finally sorted hotel and are off tomorrow to Edinburgh for the Easter weekend.

Never been before, what are the must-sees? Edinburgh Castle presumably and I have heard of something called Camera Obscura, what is that??

Our dds are 14, 13 and 9. Thanks,

mouldycheesefan Thu 24-Mar-16 16:42:08

Museum of Scotland is excellent. And free. And not all about Scotland , has a science museum in it and a natural history museum.
Open top bus tour?
Princes st gardens

originalmavis Thu 24-Mar-16 16:43:31

The big bus tour is quite good.

mawbroon Thu 24-Mar-16 16:47:54

The castle is quite pricey. You might be happy just having a walk round the esplanade.

The camera obscura is right by the castle.

Would second the bus tour. You can hop on and off all day. Or if you're feeling adventurous, get a day ticket for the Lothian buses which lets you on all the buses and the tram, except for going to the airport. Family day ticket is about £8 I think and unless it's changed (best to double check) it covers 2 adults and 3 kids.

SenecaFalls Thu 24-Mar-16 16:54:50

If you have never been to the Castle, you should do it, pricey or not.

Second the Museum of Scotland. And close by is Greyfriars Kirkyard, one of my favorite spots.

Sooo jealous. I love Edinburgh!

InkleWinkle Thu 24-Mar-16 16:57:53

Definitely Camera Obscura and if the weather is OK get directions to the Botanic Gardens.
Also the bus tour is good & you can get off at Ocean Terminal and visit the royal yacht Britannia.

Pinkx3 Thu 24-Mar-16 16:59:51

The National Museum is fab and there is currently a Lego exhibition on if that would interest your kids. The castle is great and the bus tour lets you see things that you otherwise might not know about. I would also recommend a walk up Arthur's seat if you want an outdoor activity and the weather allows. It gives you great views across the entire city

AyeAmarok Thu 24-Mar-16 17:01:12

The train to Glasgow! We'll show you a good time grin

seb1 Thu 24-Mar-16 17:02:23

We are going later this year and fancy doing Dungeons, The ghost bus tour, The Royal Yacht and Coffee here and some museum visits.

Hatethinkingofusernames82 Thu 24-Mar-16 17:07:07

If you do go to the castle buy your tickets online and then pick them up when you arrive there. That way you get to miss out the huge queue!! And make sure the children are by the canon for 1pm! They will love that!!

National museum on chambers street is great (especially if weather isn't great!). It's free and lots of space. They did just have a Lego display on but not sure if that's still on or not!

Groovee Thu 24-Mar-16 17:09:02

Camera Obscura is a great place, lots of illusions to do and some great fun. The Museum in Chamber Street. museum on the mound has 1 million pounds and various other bank related things. Bus Tour will give you a good history guide. frisky on Forrest Road or Lothian Road for frozen yoghurt. There is the zoo, a 12, 26 or 31 will get you there from Princes Street.

Groovee Thu 24-Mar-16 17:10:35

Oh and St Andrews Square at twilight for the light show going on there. There is also a free rugby match at Murrayfield tomorrow at 7.45pm for the Girls Rugby final.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 24-Mar-16 17:11:49

Ayeamarok why would they want burgers when they have steak? (Just kidding)

grin

soupmaker Thu 24-Mar-16 17:16:15

Walk up to the top of Calton Hill for fabulous views.

The Gallery of Modern Art is good. Although as others have said the National Museum is really brilliant and you could spend hours in it.

A trip on a tram is fun if the weather isn't great.

Rose Street is buzzy and good for places to eat.

whiteagle Thu 24-Mar-16 17:21:46

The Science Festival starts on Saturday so the museum is extra good
Check out The List website and search for kids events - there will be lots over Easter weekend.

It is cold in Scotland at the moment though after a lovely sunny spring like week - check the forecast and wrap up warm- is miserable being cold.

Purplehonesty Thu 24-Mar-16 18:07:50

Ooh go to mary kings close I keep meaning to go. The ghost tour is good too.

The castle is lovely

Princes street gardens for a picnic if it's nice

Have a wander down the old town

And everything else mentioned!

SenecaFalls Thu 24-Mar-16 19:08:52

If you're interested in Mary Queen of Scots, visit Holyroodhouse to see her rooms, including the room where she was forced to witness the murder of David Rizzio. You can also take in some of the Scottish Parliament which is close by.

Knockmesideways Thu 24-Mar-16 19:14:29

Mary King Close is great - DS (who is 8) loves it. We have family living in Edinburgh. Dynamic Earth, next to the Parliament Building and opposite Holyrood, is great too - takes you through the planet's history from the Big Bang to outer space.

Dancergirl Fri 25-Mar-16 22:50:52

Camera obscura was FAB, couldn't drag the kids out! Doing open top bus tomorrow, I'm trying to persuade my family to go to the Museum of Childhood so I can get my nostalgia fix.

Going to Royal Yacht Britannia either tomorrow or Sunday. Really lovely city, if a little blowy! smile

amarmai Fri 25-Mar-16 23:15:19

Princes st- shops , gardens, laneways behind, also read there is an underground village- which i managed to not hear about while living there for 4 years. Bet your kids wd love it.

Iggi999 Sat 26-Mar-16 00:22:15

To get to Britannia you go through a shopping centre. At the moment they have dinosaurs round it (inside), animated, roaring ones! There's some on the ground and first floors.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sat 26-Mar-16 00:36:31

The Museum of Childhood is brilliant. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! smile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 26-Mar-16 06:31:13

Glad you are having fun grin

Groovee Sat 26-Mar-16 17:30:55

The weather is crap. Yesterday was lovely as well X

Dancergirl Sat 26-Mar-16 21:48:24

Not too fussed about the weather. Quick question if anyone might know, where's cheapest for cashmere scarves? Dh and I treated ourselves but £50 seems a bit excessive for teens!

Dh went to whiskey experience today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now