Talk

Advanced search

Self-catering with private pool??

(19 Posts)
MWestie Thu 04-Feb-16 11:58:54

Am indulging in some holiday browsing smile.
We would love to rent a property with its own private pool. The idea of getting up in the morning and going for a swim sounds just heavenly...

We have two youngish DC and are tied to school holidays.

Devon/Cornwall are our preferred areas but we are open to any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks all!

mummymeister Thu 04-Feb-16 12:04:09

Have had a good look on the sites that we have used for holiday accom and cant find anything with its own private pool for such a small number. there are some big holiday houses sleeping 15+ with their own pool but not a sleeps 4. the budget for something like this if you can find space in school summer hols would be £4K+ which does seem like quite a lot! I know places with shared pool but guess that is not what you want. the sort of places you find abroad in Greece, florida etc don't really exist in the uk because pools are so expensive to run. would you compromise and share? or do you have a mega budget?

MyBigFatGreekYoghurt Thu 04-Feb-16 12:06:56

We did in Florida and stayed in a community of houses called Windsor Hills. It was cheaper than I thought - we picked a 6 bed with private pool for about £900 a week. Of course you have to add flights...

MWestie Thu 04-Feb-16 12:20:16

Thanks mummymeister. I know I'm looking for the almost impossible!

Just from having a quick browse we would definitely need to push the boat out on our budget and go for a larger property.

We would consider it though as this would be a one-off requirement not to be repeated every year!

I just need to get it out of my system, if you see what I mean smile.

MWestie Thu 04-Feb-16 12:22:04

Thank you too Yoghurt (!) that sounds lovely and something we may look into doing in future.

mummymeister Thu 04-Feb-16 12:24:18

so I have had a quick look at various sites. I have found places for £3k - £5K a week but all of them are booked for school summer holidays. these places are so rare that tbh they will book out a year to 18 months in advance. sorry you might have missed the boat this year.

firesidechat Thu 04-Feb-16 12:24:59

The only rentals I've seen in the UK with private pools are huge houses and cost a bomb. You sometimes get a group of smaller rentals with a pool, but that wouldn't be private. Tricky.

MWestie Thu 04-Feb-16 12:41:44

Thank you both and I can see you're absolutely right, in terms of places like this booking so far in advance and being mega-bucks too of course.

Perhaps I should try to get something fabulous booked to look forward to next year then, try to get a head start smile.

Just out of interest are there any particular sites you'd recommend for browsing, any little gems or just the usual ones?

We've holidayed in Cornwall self-catering for the past 3 years and love it, but am always interested in any little-known, slightly off the beaten track, recommendations...

CMOTDibbler Thu 04-Feb-16 12:43:08

Would it be OK if you got exclusive use of the pool by booking it? The Moretons is nice, in a lovely area, but you have to book the pool.

Not private, but we stayed at Broomhill Manor a couple of times, and the pool was very quiet

CremeBrulee Thu 04-Feb-16 12:44:32

Can recommend this place, in a lovely spot in a hillside above a small Devon market town. Pricey but very well equipped and maintained.

http://www.beaconsidehouse.co.uk/beaconside

MWestie Thu 04-Feb-16 12:54:36

Thank you CMOT and Creme for those recommendations, will check them all out.

Papergirl1968 Thu 04-Feb-16 14:36:22

Have a look at lothlorien poolside in Somerset, booked through holidaycottages.co.uk
We stayed there in 2014. Nice property with exclusive use of indoor pool, and it wasn't too expensive, around £700 for May half term, I think.

HemanOrSheRa Thu 04-Feb-16 15:08:10

Ooh you've had me googling! I found this place, with private pool, appears to be available mid August www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8124509. Bit pricey.

Or this place, with private pool. But it's inland which is probably the reason it's much cheaper. Doesn't look as modern either. www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1912358.

There are quite a few places in the Cornwall area on the same website with pools but they appear to be in small complexes so the facilities are shared. They look very nice though! I know the location of some of them, particularly in the Mawgan Porth area (nr Newquay), as we holiday there every year. They are in a very good spot!

venusinscorpio Thu 04-Feb-16 15:18:27

If the pool is what you want and you're not tied to the UK, I'd go abroad and hire a villa. Really easy to find lots of properties with private pools of all sizes and not too expensive, especially out of season. Obviously you have to add on travel but if you go outside the summer hols (i.e. half term) this should be cheaper, but still nice weather. It is a lovely way to holiday!

Diddlydokey Thu 04-Feb-16 15:20:42

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/north-burlingham/41419

Diddlydokey Thu 04-Feb-16 15:26:54

www.norfolkcottages.co.uk/north-norfolk-coast-cottages/brinton/1260-coach-house

MWestie Thu 04-Feb-16 15:45:55

Oh wow, everyone, thank you, am so grateful for all your Googling! Will check out all these links properly tonight smile

Themodernuriahheep Thu 04-Feb-16 15:49:28

There are a couple of places in Sussex and Kent too..

MWestie Thu 04-Feb-16 19:22:24

Thank you too uriah that's good to know as would consider other areas, although heart lies with Cornwall smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now