Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Peak District for 3-4 days with 10yr old

(6 Posts)
BiddyPop Tue 12-Jan-16 17:03:05

Hi, I am hoping for some guidance.

I am contemplating that, rather than driving straight from Sherwood Forest to north Wales (ferry), that we break in Peak District for some walking, sightseeing and visit extended family (near M60 south of Manchester). In early July potentially (juggling a family wedding date after our schools finish but before UK schools finish) or August.

DH and I have visited Buxton before. Happy to do a fair amount of driving, but would like to find a base for a few days not packing/unpacking daily.

We are 3 - DD is 10, DH and I. All reasonably fit for walking, but looking for 3-4 hour walks max. Perhaps 1 NT type place before DD reaches boredom threshold. Nice coffee/cakes breaks. Happy to self cater although nice eateries a bonus.

Are there particular places that are great to stay, or should be avoided?

Any recommendations for good walks, or things to do apart from walking? We may have a bike with us, but not 3 (happy to do some cycling but the flatter the better for me!). Plenty of wet weather gear, but some indoors things would be nice too. We're into food as well, so farms selling direct or nice delis with lots of local produce would be great to know about.

Basically - any recommendations or advice from those who have been in the area in recent years, or live there, would be great, thank you!!

Only1scoop Tue 12-Jan-16 17:10:34

Hi Ilam hall is a good NT place for parking and beautiful walks and only 20 mins from Ashbourne.

Manifold Valley....Wetton Mill and Dovedale easily accessible from there.

If you need extra bikes Manifold Valley and Parsley Hay for Tissington and High Peak trail. Check opening in Winter though.

Monsal Head and Monsaldale also lovely starting points for walking/cycling.

Lovely villages and towns Bakewell, Monyash and Hartington all have a plethora of circular walks great starting points.

Only1scoop Tue 12-Jan-16 17:11:16

Ps lovely Nt tea room at Ilam hall and of course your free parking.

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Tue 12-Jan-16 17:14:22

We stayed just outside Ashbourne last year at Sandybrook Country Park. It's obviously at the bottom of the Peak District so might not suit but they have a sister park Called Darwin Forest which is further up. It was great, I'd really recommend it.

If you wree happy to stay as far south as Ashbourne we had a great time. Cycled the Tissington trail (flat and has bike hire), Walked Dovedale which was beautiful and cycled round Carsington Water. There are lots of NT places around there as well. On the rainiest day we went further up to visit some caves, which the kids loved.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed the holiday, it was brilliant.

BackforGood Tue 12-Jan-16 17:22:10

YHA has some lovely hostels in the area

BiddyPop Wed 13-Jan-16 09:11:47

Thanks everyone - I am only starting on my research but this gives me some great jumping off points.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now