Talk

Advanced search

Pleeeease help me find the perfect Northumberland cottage!

(22 Posts)
MegBusset Tue 15-Dec-15 22:46:57

I've looked at so many cottage websites I'm starting to go cross-eyed! I think I need some local knowledge so if anyone can recommend somewhere fab that would be amazing. The cottage needs to:

- sleep four
- be in a quiet location but walking distance to local pub/shop
- have a nice big garden with some kind of play equipment (trampoline ideal)
- be between Bamburgh and Alnwick - don't mind if coastal or inland but must have nice walks nearby
- be cosy and welcoming, not an ugly new build
- a log fire would be the icing on the cake!

There must surely be somewhere that ticks all those boxes but I'm buggered if I can find it!

Follyfoot Tue 15-Dec-15 22:50:41

Coquet Cottages are fantastic, we've stayed with them several times and friends have been too. I'll be amazed if you cant find something through them smile

JoyceDivision Tue 15-Dec-15 22:52:53

pricey but fab we gaze at this all the time, 100 yards from beach and village, next to castle, it is ace.

Will add more!

JoyceDivision Tue 15-Dec-15 22:53:44

next to golf club at bamburgh

JoyceDivision Tue 15-Dec-15 22:55:18

armstrong, about 200 yards from bamburgh viallge,across road from dunes

WidowWadman Tue 15-Dec-15 22:57:55

www.northumberlandcottages.com/northumberland-holiday-cottages-harvest-home-81761

Had a fantastic time in this one. There's no WiFi (at least there wasn't a year ago), but to me that's a bonus

JoyceDivision Tue 15-Dec-15 22:58:02

another armstrong cottage

another

another one!

another!

Turquoisetamborine Tue 15-Dec-15 22:58:34

Have a look at Seahouses. Nice little seaside village with a few shops and pubs. We stayed at Newton by the Sea last year in a gorgeous one but it would be about 20 minutes walk from any shops or pubs.

JoyceDivision Tue 15-Dec-15 22:59:01

2 more in heart of bamburgh that are nice

bobthebuddha Tue 15-Dec-15 22:59:37

You can't beat Wooler for some lovely walks - a good few cottages around there and slightly further afield. Plenty of log fires from the looks of it!

JoyceDivision Tue 15-Dec-15 23:00:52

not seen this one before

bobthebuddha Tue 15-Dec-15 23:01:21

Admittedly it's not quite in between Alnwick and Bamburgh, but it's not too far off grin

MegBusset Wed 16-Dec-15 19:06:29

Thank you all, there are some truly lovely cottages here but I can't see one that ticks every one of the boxes sadly! It seems hard to find one that has enough outside space but is walking distance to the pub/shops, they seem to be one or the other. I found a lovely one in Warkworth that did tick all the boxes but at 1.4k for a week is over budget by some way sad

I will keep looking, meanwhile keep the suggestions coming!

MegBusset Wed 16-Dec-15 19:13:37

WidowWadman was yours walking distance to anywhere?

JoyceDivision Wed 16-Dec-15 22:46:16

meg, if it helps all the ones I'velisted are in bamburgh village and are nomore than a 5 mon walkto the pub in the village and the beach, we've stayed in a few of them (except the point cottages, although in the village it is along a little raod with nopavements to the golf club and cars tear along it, so might be best to disregards that!)

MegBusset Wed 16-Dec-15 23:52:39

Thanks Joyce, the Armstrong ones are top of my list atm. Looking at Isobel cottage but the garden looks a bit small maybe?

Littlebigcat Thu 17-Dec-15 14:37:57

www.cottagesinnorthumberland.co.uk/properties/anchor-cottage-seahouses?gclid=CjwKEAiA18mzBRCo1e_-y_KLpXISJACEsANGTeaAUhzn8LAWwBSlO1REtZ2IlL348zveKrLiU4dUjRoC3NLw_wcB

We stayed in this one last year. It sleeps 6 but isn't stupidly expensive. You can't see the garden properly, there's no trampoline or anything but it is enclosed and a good patch of lawn. About 5-10 mins walk in to seahouses.

JoyceDivision Thu 17-Dec-15 21:16:57

If you want a big garden with teh armstrong ones, try nantucket (slightly priceir as its bigger, but beautifully done out)

Hang on and I can try checking the others from what I remember smile

JoyceDivision Thu 17-Dec-15 21:21:05

armstrong withbig garden

JoyceDivision Thu 17-Dec-15 21:22:56

think this is next to nantucket with big garden

JoyceDivision Thu 17-Dec-15 21:24:23

Isobel is one of teh ones that face on to the road so only has a small from garden.

Wigeon Thu 17-Dec-15 21:30:22

We stayed in that Armstrong Cottage linked above as "Armstrong with big garden" this Easter!! It was lovely. 5 minute walk over the beautiful sandy dunes to the sea. Certainly cosy and welcoming. The owner was really nice (eg texting to check we were OK). Although all the armstrongs are near a road, it's actually remarkably quiet inside the cottages, and even outside - there really wasn't much traffic (especially compared to the south east where I live). The garden had a kind of swing set thing in the garden, and some balls I think in the shed. Very easy to get into Bamburgh - you could definitely walk it, or a v short drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now