Talk

Advanced search

Cheltenham recommendations?

(13 Posts)
lisbapalea Fri 16-Oct-15 14:46:34

Hi all - hoping for some restaurant / entertainment ideas for Cheltenham!

I want to book a day/night away for dh and me to celebrate our wedding anniversary in December.

Plan would be to find somewhere for a really lovely lunch on a Friday, then somewhere fun in the evening for some kind of live music / comedy with drinks, and then maybe a mooch around shops on the Saturday before heading home in the afternoon.

Is that something that Cheltenham can offer?

Hotel-wise, I have found a room available at No. 38 The Park - is that any good? Happy to take alternatives - I want to treat us to a nice boutiquey hotel as we don't usually spoil ourselves with nice hotels.

I don't know Cheltenham very well at all - have been shopping a couple of times but that's it. It's not too far from where we are though, which has been a deciding factor.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 17-Oct-15 13:29:43

I liked this but it was a while ago, check tripadvisor

www.thedaffodil.com

More expensive but great although their website is down

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186284-d719757-Reviews-Lumiere-Cheltenham_Cotswolds_England.html

wickedwaterwitch Sat 17-Oct-15 13:34:18

Just looked at no 38 and it's the same people who own The Wheatsheaf in Northleach so I reckon it's a good choice, stick with it!

lisbapalea Sat 17-Oct-15 20:50:32

Thank you - think I will book it!

HappyMcflappy Sat 17-Oct-15 21:06:53

Definitely book no 38 then 131 The Prom or the Tavern for lunch. (sister restaurants of no 38 and both wonderful) Monty's cocktail bar has live music on Friday nights. Bar wise in the evening crazy 8's, petite Blanc, 6 degrees of seperation and by then Aqau Vitae will be open. All very grown up and fabulous for people watching.

lisbapalea Sat 17-Oct-15 21:52:18

Brilliant - thanks so much for these recommendations! Xx

BettyBitesBums Sat 17-Oct-15 21:58:02

Restaurant wise we went to an amazing Indian restaurant restaurant called Bhoomi which did a fantastic fine-dining style tasting menu and fab cocktails.

If you really wanted to splash out for dinner Le Champignon Sauvage has 2 Michelin stars and is amazing food but it is very very pricey and the atmosphere is a bit quiet.

lisbapalea Tue 17-Nov-15 12:01:02

Have been a bit disorganised so haven't thought about this for a month so have only got round to booking today! I couldn't get a room at No 38 in the end so I have just booked the Montpellier Chapter hotel, and then the Daffodil for lunch on the Saturday (they have a live jazz band on).

Anyone know anything about the Montpellier Chapter hotel? It also has a spa so I thought we might get a treatment before heading home on the Sunday.

Will check out some of the bar recommendations for the Saturday night - my ideal would be to find some kind of live music or comedy so I am still looking on those counts....

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Tue 17-Nov-15 12:06:03

I've stayed there. It was about four years ago, but it was nice. Boutiquey. Bath in the room, that kind of thing.

lisbapalea Tue 17-Nov-15 12:45:37

Perfect, that's just the kind of poncery I am after!

peppajay Sat 21-Nov-15 19:15:48

I went to uni in Cheltenham in the late 90's lovely place. Went to lunch at the daffodil with my parents a couple of times and was very impressed xx

lisbapalea Sun 13-Dec-15 20:52:22

Can report back to say The Chapter hotel, the Daffodil, all the bars we visited and Cheltenham in general were all bloody lovely! Thanks for all the tips - we had a brilliant time!

siscaza Sun 13-Dec-15 20:58:45

I went to uni in Cheltenham in the late 90s peppajay, perhaps we know each other fgrin

The Daffodil is lovely, highly recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now