Talk

Advanced search

Whitby

(9 Posts)
Donthackmenow Fri 31-Jul-15 08:43:04

We are off to Whitby next week with our 2 children (5 and 2) and I am looking for suggestions of what to do/where to go? We have never been to yorkshire before and the 5 year old is really excited. If the weather is good then we will be happy to spend time at the beach and potter but I feel we need a back up planwink. It would also be great to know which fish and chip shop to use as I've heard there are a lot!!!

Sirzy Fri 31-Jul-15 08:44:21

Trenchers is the best fish and chip shop in my opinion.

It's a lovely area. Have fun

mamabluestar Fri 31-Jul-15 20:52:17

It is a lovely area. If you have good weather you have Sandsend, Robin Hoods Bay, Scarborough, Filey and Saltburn, York and Flamingo Land and Lightwater Valley all within easy driving distance. Pannett Park in Whitby has a great play area. If you have some rainy days MiniMonsterz is close by and there is the Sealife Centre in Scarborough.
Our favourite chip shop is out of the main part of Whitby - if you go past the harbour and go over the swing bridge, continue on the road which bends to the right, it's the last chip shop on your left before you turn to go up to the Abbey. My 2 love getting a box of chips and sitting on the grassed area in the Abbey car park. Havd a great holiday 😊

hedgehogsdontbite Fri 31-Jul-15 21:01:15

Just up the coast is the pretty village Staithes which they may recognise if they watch CBeebies, Old Jack's Boat (Salty Dog) is filmed there.

saresywaresy2 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:58:11

The steam train out of Whitby to Pickering is a lovely trip. Scarborough is also great for a day out. You have to count all the steps up to the Abbey. And I also love Trenchers for inside meal and the fish and chip shop Mamabluestar said for take out. But like them all. We once had a four day break and had a fish and chips every night for tea!!!!!

ouryve Sun 09-Aug-15 19:04:24

Another vote for Trenchers. Consistently excellent.

And if you don't fancy always driving and parking, there's plenty of buses to places along the coast, which means you all get to enjoy the views on the way.

Jenijena Sun 09-Aug-15 19:05:56

I can recommend a trip up to Saltburn for another bit of beach and ice cream

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Aug-15 19:08:40

Robin hoods bat is beautiful and it has a great park with a huge wooden pirate ship in it!

If you go to Scarborough take them to the model boat battle reenactment in the park, it's awesome!

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Aug-15 19:09:32

www.peasholmpark.com/about/naval-warfare.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now