Talk

Advanced search

Contactless cards on London transport

(11 Posts)
BrianButterfield Thu 23-Jul-15 22:00:45

Next week we'll be in London from lunchtime one day until teatime the next day. We won't leave zone 1 but will do a fair bit of nipping around (with a pushchair) - it seems like just using contactless cards is the most economical way of doing it if we're going to be making a few short journeys as the cap is quite low. Is this right?

callamia Thu 23-Jul-15 22:01:38

I think so. I use mine most days, and it works well.

BrianButterfield Thu 23-Jul-15 22:05:18

Am I reading it right that the zone 1 cap is £6.40? Seems really reasonable.

CatatonicLadybug Thu 23-Jul-15 22:14:41

Yes, £6.40 is the current cap for zones 1 & 2. I've been using contactless for a while now and find it so much easier than needing to top up an Oyster card. Just be careful if you have more than one contactless card that you use the same one all the time so you get the capped fare.

If you check your account during the day, sometimes it looks like it has taken more than the cap but I've always found it to be correct by the next day.

soundsystem Thu 23-Jul-15 22:17:20

You are right smile so much easier now for visitors not having to faff with Oyster cards although my family insist on using them anyway

BrianButterfield Thu 23-Jul-15 22:18:55

Brilliant, thanks. It seemed so easy I was worried there would be a catch somewhere. I only seem to remember being baffled in front of ticket machines ever other time I've been so this is going to help a lot when we're travelling with kids.

Artandco Thu 23-Jul-15 22:18:57

It's a cheaper cap if you are using buses. £4.80 or something. If staying in zone 1, your better of using buses than tube if pram with you as easier

BrianButterfield Thu 23-Jul-15 22:21:33

My DS is absolutely train mad so we're going to have to go on the tube at least once - it would be criminal to deprive him of that joy! I agree buses are probably better though we have an easily foldable buggy and walking toddler so with two adults I'm not worried about the tube so much.

titchy Thu 23-Jul-15 22:23:31

You'll need one contact less per paying person don't forget - you can't all use the same one.

BrianButterfield Thu 23-Jul-15 22:27:12

Yes - that's fine as long as you can use separate cards from the same account? No need to do anything for under-5s right?

Artandco Thu 23-Jul-15 22:39:53

No need to pay for under 12s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now