Talk

Advanced search

24 hours without DC, 1 or two hours from Sheffield.... Where to go and what to do?

(11 Posts)
Tobermory Mon 20-Jul-15 22:43:37

We've had a tricky few months, life has been challenging. My lovely DH has sorted overnight childcare (a rare thing) for Saturday night as its my birthday.
Need some inspiration of where to go. Either city centre for shopping and nice food or country for walks and a cosy pub.

Need to be a max of 2 hour drive of Sheffield.

Wingedharpy Tue 21-Jul-15 12:29:38

My vote would be Stratford on Avon.
2 hours and a few minutes from Sheffield.
Lovely shops, beautiful buildings to gaze upon, walks and boat trips on the river, lots of choice for eating places.
You don't need to be remotely interested in Shakespeare to enjoy it - it's worth visiting just for itself - though the theatre does have a lovely coffee shop.
Enjoy.

insanityscatching Tue 21-Jul-15 12:47:46

I'd go to York, lots to see and do museums, shops, cafes and restaurants and a trip up the river and a walk along the wall.

Bunbaker Wed 22-Jul-15 22:04:30

Ditto York, or how about Whitby?

emma123456 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:40:35

We had a night in York, lovely hotels and restaurants.

PrincessOfChina Thu 23-Jul-15 12:46:12

I would go to Manchester. I love shopping there followed by drinks and dinner in the Northern Quarter.

nottheOP Thu 23-Jul-15 12:48:06

www.fischers-baslowhall.co.uk/

^There

Tobermory Thu 23-Jul-15 22:50:42

Looks nice nottheop but we're already booked, will save it for next time.
princess, we're going to Manchester. DH booked a secret hotel on last minute...now just need to find somewhere to eat. Any recommendations ?

dustdragon Thu 23-Jul-15 23:02:58

Eating in Manchester - San Carlo, there's lots of nice restaurants but nothing comes close for atmosphere and food.

AliceMum09 Fri 24-Jul-15 08:40:38

When DH and I (also in Sheffield) escaped to Manchester for the night we went to Jamie's Italian.

PrincessOfChina Sat 25-Jul-15 08:31:22

Oh yes, San Carlo is lovely. Almost Famous is brilliant fun or try Dough for some lush pizza. Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now