Talk

Advanced search

Dumfries and Galloway. Pretty towns/villages?

(6 Posts)
chancer2014 Sun 19-Jul-15 07:44:17

En route to Kirkcudbright from Carlise.

Are there any pretty places to stay on the way?

Chippychop Sun 19-Jul-15 23:10:24

Watching this too with interest grin

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 19-Jul-15 23:16:49

It's too far West for your trip, but I love Portpatrick.
I have friends who regularly take their camper van to Sandyhills and love it, but I don't know it personally.
I think anywhere in the Galloway Forest Park would be good.

Stroan Sun 19-Jul-15 23:27:36

Kirkcudbright is my home town and it's gorgeous!

I wouldn't stay anywhere east of Dumfries unless you were taking a very long scenic route via somewhere like Moffat! It's not really a very long drive - is there a specific reason you need somewhere to stop?

West of Dumfries you could try New Abbey, rockcliffe or Kippford. All lovely, but not in the main route to Kirkcudbright.

Again, going a longer and more scenic route you could head up towards Galloway Forest Park/Loch Ken. New Galloway and Dalry are both nice villages.

Have a great time, it's a really lovely part of the world and often overlooked.

helensburgh Sun 19-Jul-15 23:27:52

Galloway forest park is too far west.

Head to Dalbeattie and go to Kippford or onto carsthorn or new abbey, all are lovely this road takes you to dmfries and onto carlisle easily.

Any of these would be maybe 30 mins from kirkcubrights and an hour to Carlisle.

chancer2014 Thu 23-Jul-15 06:27:12

Thanks all. Stroan - we need somewhere to stay for a night mainly because we can't get into our holiday accommodation in Kirkcudbright till the next day. Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now