Talk

Advanced search

Which Premier Inn in Cardiff?

(11 Posts)
StuntBottom Wed 15-Jul-15 21:53:44

Planning a short break to Cardiff (thanks to some previous excellent recommendations from MN!) and now just need to sort accommodation. I like Premier Inn but there seem to be several in and around Cardiff and I have no idea which one to book! We'll be driving there but I've heard that Cardiff has an awful one-way system so I'd prefer to be out of the centre and travel in, either by park-and-ride, or on public transport. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Raeray Wed 15-Jul-15 21:59:09

Afraid I can't help with the premier inn, but I can recommend future inn.
I've stayed in the Bristol one and its lovely and similar prices to premier inn. I noticed they have one in Cardiff so might be worth a look- plus there's only one there so might be easier to decide! smile

StuntBottom Thu 16-Jul-15 08:07:28

Will look into that. Considering Premier Inn Routh. Does anyone know it?

absolutelynotfabulous Thu 16-Jul-15 08:12:18

Awful one way system? That's news to me! Never heard of one in Roath(?).

I'd go for the Llantrisant one I think. Good kinks, easy access to Cardiff and M4.

Food too, and a more chilled-out vibe than other Premiers I've come across.

RustyBear Thu 16-Jul-15 08:26:10

We've stayed at the Pentwyn one (Cardiff North I think) when we've been to Cardiff for Doctor Who stuff. We've always found it very good, with lovely staff.
There's a park and ride nearby, but we've usually driven part way into Cardiff and parked at a cheapish car park within walking distance of the town centre. I can't remember the name of the road, but some Cardiff MNer might recognise the one I mean - it's a long thin one, running alongside the road for quite a way - last time we were there, it was a meeting place for Race for Life runners

PityPartay Thu 16-Jul-15 08:30:26

Have a look at the Travelodge in Atlantic Wharf (Cardiff Bay) - it's just been redone so it's nice inside, it's a stones throw from Cardiff but you can come in 'from the side' (coming from Newport) rather than coming through Cardiff so avoid the worst roads. It's right in the heart of Cardiff Bay which is lovely and has the Doctor Who Experience, Techniquest, Millennium Centre etc and there's a train station very close by for a quick trip into Cardiff or loads of good buses.

PityPartay Thu 16-Jul-15 08:31:19

Oh and you park for free in a closed off car park if you're staying at the Travelodge so no parking trouble.

absolutelynotfabulous Thu 16-Jul-15 13:45:11

Rusty: is that the car park by the College of Music and Drama? On North Road (ie slightly north of the centre where you pass the Castle on your left coming towards the centre)?

RustyBear Thu 16-Jul-15 15:43:55

That sounds about right, I remember passing the Castle when we walled in to town.

SweetCharityBeginsAtHome Thu 16-Jul-15 20:21:33

What a coincidence - I just came to Travel/UK specifically to look for cheap hotel recommendations for two nights in Cardiff for a Doctor Who related stop-off en route to Pembrokeshire in August. I'll look into the two you lovely people have recommended. Do you happen to know whether they do interconnecting rooms, or are we all going to have to squeeze into a Family Room?

OP, could you possibly point me to where you found your Top Tips for Cardiff mini-break? thanks

cocobean2805 Fri 17-Jul-15 01:25:04

Cardiff Bay one is about 5 mins outside of Cardiff city centre (park and ride plus there are always taxis). Cardiff bay is also where the doctor who exhibition is, and a children's interactive science museum called Techniques (if you have children). Plus there are loads of resteraunts etc about. And during the summer this is where the food festival type things go on.

Cardiff city center is lovely (but can be good naturedly be rowdy at weekends) the castle is nice to visit but only takes an hour or so to navigate, but there's a lovely park next door which you can sit and picnic in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now