Talk

Advanced search

What is the lesser of two evils when driving from Kent to Somerset, a Friday rush hour or Saturday morning?

(5 Posts)
Reastie Wed 08-Jul-15 21:04:59

Any one have experience of these roads? From memory through Stonehenge is always bad.

We are currently contemplating driving from mid afternoon on a Friday but will get caught in rush hour Friday afternoon traffic. But then, hopefully we might at least get beyond the m25 before it all really gets hectic.

Only other option is leaving around 7am in Saturday morning, but then once we arrive dh has already said he doesn't want to waste the day and I'll be pooped after driving all that way and will need a sit down day. Driving earlier or through the night not an option as I do all th driving as I get travel sick as a passenger so always do all driving and I can't do it when tired and can't just go to bed early as I get very anxious about whether I'll sleep etc which obviously makes the situ worse and I can't sleep.

Just how bad is Friday afternoon rush hour to west Somerset from the other side of the m25?

thanks

BlueChampagne Mon 13-Jul-15 14:46:25

Have done Cambridge to N Dorset a few times, and M25 is the worst bit, unless the A303 gets closed by an accident. Hope that helps.

Damnautocorrect Mon 13-Jul-15 15:34:43

Ive done similar the M25 is the worst bit.
We've done leaving at 6.30pm to miss the worse of the M25 and leaving at 6am saturday.
6am was good, we got settled in the area (couldn't get into the cottage until 3) did a supermarket shop and had a cream tea. But the saturday was LONNNNG, we were shattered and desperate to get in our cottage by 3.

6.30pm was the best, yes it was a bit crawly on the motorway to start with but we stopped for a overpriced services dinner, got our stuff in the cottage, good nights sleep and bright and breezy to make the most of the next day.

AlpacaLypse Mon 13-Jul-15 15:44:30

Not sure exactly where you're headed, but when DP and I went down to Cornwall from Wiltshire a couple of summers ago, we took our own vehicles and one child each. DP went via the A303 whereas I took M4/M5. I won by a good half hour.

Reastie Thu 16-Jul-15 18:32:15

Thanks for the replies, sadly slightly belated as we went last Friday. We left around 2pm and got stuck in 14 miles of tailbacks on the m25 [gulp] and various other slow traffic areas which slowed us down. It took over four hours to do less than 130 miles, but we got here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now