Talk

Advanced search

lulworth/ Durdle door/Dorset

(19 Posts)
sunnysunchild Sun 05-Jul-15 20:23:09

Hi we are heading south next weekend for a week's holiday, Just wondering if anyone have any suggestions for things to do, places to go, etc for a family of 5, kids ages 10 -3 years. �� Thanks in advance

cestlavielife Mon 06-Jul-15 14:29:08

bovington tank museum
monkey world
corfe castle
the beaches

shakemysilliesout Mon 06-Jul-15 21:11:49

Model corfe Is better than real corfe.

Blue pool is good.

Steam train.

Asleeponasunbeam Mon 06-Jul-15 21:19:06

Lulworth castle, Lulworth cove, Swanage for beaches. We drove an hour or so to Lyme Regis. Where are you staying? We went in May - children (in party, not all mine) ranged from 1-10

sunnysunchild Wed 08-Jul-15 18:39:54

Hi thanks for these suggestions �� We are staying in holiday cottage in lulworth cove.. Coming from Scotland it's a v long drive ��
Anymore anyone? ��

overreactionemoticon Wed 08-Jul-15 18:46:08

Definitely durdle door (but be prepared for a bit of a trek)

Lulworth used to be my favourite until I lost ds there two years ago, marred it for me (even though he was found safe and sound).

I love corfe castle and the model village.

Gonequiet Wed 08-Jul-15 19:05:46

Also if you head over to weymouth there is the sealife centre which has a water splash park to it, abbotsbury swannery has gardens and animals etc! If you go to poole and you can get on a boat and head over to brownsea Island which is worth a visit. If you go towards bournemouth there is paultons park which is home to peppa pig world.

Monkey world is worth a visit as previously mentioned and the beaches.

Asleeponasunbeam Wed 08-Jul-15 19:23:23

Which cottage are you in? It will be a long, long drive! Hope you have a great time x

sunnysunchild Wed 08-Jul-15 21:30:33

It's lulwind Asleep . We've driven to south of France before so I know we'll be ok ��. Lots of stops, Inc one overnight on the way down. Really looking forward to going now smile x

BlueChampagne Thu 09-Jul-15 15:17:11

CAMRA's cider pub of the year is in West Lulworth ...

TheGashlycrumbTinies Thu 09-Jul-15 15:21:38

If you go to Monkey World go after lunch, most of the monkeys seem to like to stay well hidden until this time.

We have been lots and lots (locals) and have found the best time after 3'ish, we do have annual membership though so just popping over for a couple of hours is fine.

There is the huge park to play in too.

stressed33 Thu 09-Jul-15 15:27:01

Fossil hunting in Charmouth. They do brilliant guided walks where kids can learn what to look for. We loved it when we were there at Easter.

DoctorTwo Thu 09-Jul-15 15:56:45

You're going to be one cove west of Tyneham, a village commandeered by the military during WW2. It's fascinating and has one of the best beaches in the country, plus hardly anybody goes to the beach so it's quiet. Bonus!

If you go to Swanage take the chain ferry from Sandbanks to Studland. The cost is something like 30p per car, and it's a more scenic route than the main roads.

sunnysunchild Thu 09-Jul-15 20:37:39

This is all great :-) Thank you all so much x

FoolishFay Sun 12-Jul-15 18:24:14

Radipole RSPB reserve in Weymouth is nice - and free! Nice cafe where you can watch the birds on the water.

FrChewieLouie Sun 12-Jul-15 18:26:00

We're just back from Moors Valley country park, near Ringwood - tons to do for all ages, you can hire bikes etc. if you want too.

FoolishFay Sun 12-Jul-15 18:30:58

Abbotsbury children's farm is nice too - you can get a combined ticket for all the family attractions in the village , which might be worth the investments.

If it's wet, head to Dorset County museum in Dorchester. Loads for the kids to see. Free family activities on wed am during the holidays (check the website!) I may, or may not be a volunteer there! Home made cakes in the tea room.

The Roman town house, just round the corner, is free and very unusual.

FoolishFay Sun 12-Jul-15 18:31:45

Also second tyneham, very mysterious.

DustyOwl Sun 12-Jul-15 18:43:21

Durdle door is amazing, it's a steep walk back up but if you are doing that drive you must have stamina!

Kimmeridge

Tynham (as already mentioned) is the deserted village and Warnarrow Bay beach.

The square and compass pub is a good pub on a sunny day, with a lovely view over the fields and sea (it's pretty much all outside and sells really good cider and pasties, only takes cash though.) if you walk down towards the sea you get to Windspit, which has rock pools and caves but is a bit of a walk, not buggy suitable.

Swanage is good for old school beach activities and you can get the steam train to Corfe Castle (ice cream, steam trains and a castle all in one day, expensive but memorable)

Studland is beautiful

Poole quay has a good, free museum. (It has lots of kids stuff)

Weymouth sealife centre is good, and has a splash pool.

Monkey world is ace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now