Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Splashdown Quaywest in Paignton?

(7 Posts)
FieldTrip Sat 04-Jul-15 22:31:50

We'll be holidaying down there in the summer. DS would like to go but it will involve an epic journey on public transport (a bus, a ferry and the steam train!). It can work and the journey will be part of the fun but I'm wondering:

- Will there be long queues for everything in the summer holidays?
- Does it close for bad weather/storms? We only have one day we could go, so will have to go whatever the weather
- How long will DS2 (12yo) want to stay? i.e. how long do we need before the last train?
-Will it be worth the effort of getting there?

FieldTrip Sun 05-Jul-15 17:46:01

Anyone?

SueDunome Sun 05-Jul-15 22:55:09

It does get busy, but not unbearable because they put a time limit on your visit at peak times. The best thing about it is that it is right next to Goodrington Beach which is beautiful.
I'm guessing from your journey description that you're staying in Dartmouth or even further down. The ferry and steam train is definitely worth doing, but the steam train is a bit of a nightmare if the weather is extremely hot.

FieldTrip Mon 06-Jul-15 08:13:49

Thank you Sue. Do you mean the train is nightmare busy or nightmare uncomfortable when it's hot?

Enchufla Mon 06-Jul-15 08:17:37

I was wondering this too! We're staying near Woolacombe so according to google maps its a fairly long drive, depends if its worth the effort!

SueDunome Mon 06-Jul-15 08:19:19

The train gets very hot - an occupational hazard of being a steam train, I guess.

yummumto3girls Sun 12-Jul-15 17:06:51

I wouldn't say it's worth travelling from Woolacombe for!

It's a great day out, not huge but my kids love it. Gets very busy, better on a cloudy day as less busy, it's heated so weather not an issue. Best to take your own large rubber ring as a lot of queuing for these which can be limited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now