Talk

Advanced search

Where to go in Lake District?

(9 Posts)
Sconejamcream Sun 28-Jun-15 07:51:11

Any suggestions? Will be self catering. Family with teens.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 28-Jun-15 08:11:07

I like the Northern Lakes area. We went last year and are going back this year. It's quieter away from the most popular Lakes like Windermere but the scenery is spectacular and the walking is fabulous.

ObiWanCannoli Sun 28-Jun-15 08:51:18

Mungrisdale, Grassmere, Grizedale forest, Duddon Valley, Ulverston there are loads are lovely places in the lakes.

Grizedale is great, they've even got a Go Ape and loads of walks and cycling trails.

AdventureBe Sun 28-Jun-15 09:09:19

Whinlatter and Grizdale for mountain bike trails. Water sports at LowWood on Windermere or on Conniston Water.

Walking is the best thing about the Lakes though and teens are the perfect age for doing some of the more adventurous ones. If you're not walkers, look out for some guided walks.

Archfarchnad Sun 28-Jun-15 09:18:00

Around Keswick is great for teens. There's lots of good walks, a cinema for the evenings, you can rent boats, Go Ape at Whinlatter (we did that last year with our two). You just need to avoid the three weeks in summer when the religious Convention is taking place (unless you're evangelist Christian yourself). My teens love Keswick.

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Jun-15 09:41:42

It's all beautiful! The v touristy honeypots are around Bowness and Windermere and Hawkshead. Kendal, Ambleside and Keswick are too, but also ordinary working towns where people live and work, so are less intensely touristy. The further north and west you go, the more remote you get. Depends what you want though - teenagers may appreciate a town. The Langdale Valley may be a good place to start discovering the Lakes. It has several pubs, lots of walking and not far from Ambleside.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 28-Jun-15 09:54:12

I'm off to Coniston next week. Nice walks. Near to Grizedale. Near to Ambleside.

Dowser Sun 28-Jun-15 22:35:16

I think we are due a visit.

There's a centre parcs at entrance to lake district...whinfell.

Ferguson Sun 28-Jun-15 23:38:07

As someone else said, the Northern Lakes area is quieter than the rest of Lakeland.

We went four times to a cottage on Crummock Water, Rannerdale Farm. I think an agency does the bookings now, but I expect the property is just the same; 15 years since we last went though.

Keswick is the nearest town; Cockermouth further away but good for shops.

Will come back sometime, with links.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now