Talk

Advanced search

Unusual London - Help please!

(21 Posts)
NigellaEllaElla Mon 22-Jun-15 20:16:50

Hi,

In January I am going to London for the weekend with a small group of friends to celebrate my birthday. I wondered if anyone had any ideas of things we could spend our time there doing that are a bit different?

I was considering a River Cruise with dinner for the evening but thinking it will be freezing.

There will only be about 8 of us but I just fancy doing stuff that's a bit different so am totally open to suggestions.

Thanks grin

meandjulio Mon 22-Jun-15 20:25:09

Sir John Soane museum
Treasure Trail like this
Number One London
Roller skate in Hyde Park
eat at Lalibela Tufnell Park for Ethiopian food
London photography mystery tour

No idea what any of these are like grin but I've wanted to do them all, trouble is by the time I've paid to get to London I'm usually skint!

meandjulio Mon 22-Jun-15 20:25:47

In fact no, I have eaten at Lalibela, it was FANTASTIC especially the flatbread. Years ago though.

TwelveLeggedWalk Mon 22-Jun-15 20:26:36

Some friends of mine did a code breaking thing where they were literally locked in a room and had to work out how to get out, they LOVED It. I have no idea what it was called though and no idea what you'd need to google to find it! Was definitely in London though.

These look fun: www.southbanklondon.com/treasure-hunts-code-breakers-and-tailored-tours

Including Code-breaking thing mentioned above.

SkiSchoolRun Mon 22-Jun-15 20:30:42

Columbia rd flower market & Brick Lane bagels on Sunday morning.

BYOC

Roller Disco in Vauxhall

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 22-Jun-15 20:32:33

Walk over the top of the O2?

2fedup Mon 22-Jun-15 20:33:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 22-Jun-15 20:35:16

Vinopolis or a gin tour or I have looked at afternoon tea on a vintage bus

NigellaEllaElla Mon 22-Jun-15 20:38:25

Fab suggestions. Looking at them all now so keep them coming please.

My friend did the walk over the O2 this weekend and loved it. The code breaking thing is intriguing but not sure what the rest of the party will think!

ChrisQuean Mon 22-Jun-15 20:39:26

Get boris bikes and cycle around the Southbank. Borough market for food, cool old pubs in Bermondsey, night out at The Oxo Tower or Skylon. Good Premier Inns in Southwark.

Or night out in Shoreditch or Hoxton, cocktail making club in the afternoon and then amazing night at Trois Garçons.

2fedup Mon 22-Jun-15 20:42:36

2fedup Mon 22-Jun-15 20:45:38

Mintyy Mon 22-Jun-15 20:45:51

I started a thread for me and my fellow Londoners to share their favourite off the beaten track things to do. Got loads of replies! Hang on a sec, I'll see if I can find it.

Mintyy Mon 22-Jun-15 20:48:10

My latest personal favourite has been to go to the Sky Garden at 20 Fenchurch Street. There is a reasonably priced brasserie up there. You get the best view I have ever seen (much higher than the London Eye) for free in the capital.

Mintyy Mon 22-Jun-15 20:50:23

lots of unusual ideas here

NigellaEllaElla Mon 22-Jun-15 20:58:09

Ahh thanks so much Mintyy!

SwingingBalls Mon 22-Jun-15 21:01:46

Mintyy I was searching for that thread the other week and was really disappointed when I couldn't find it. Thank you

Fauchelevent Mon 22-Jun-15 21:03:52

I second the Sir John Soanes museum - on a similar vein, Geffreye Museum near Hoxton, and the Wellcome collection in Euston which usually has quite quirky exhibitions.

There's always some lovely street food market, both in central (KX, Oxford Circus etc) and a little further out. They can be a little pricey but are quite trendy at the mo and the food is usually good and diverse. I know it's popular but I quite like Time Out London for finding new things to do in London.

Oh also! Try the Skygarden. When I went with DP, it was free, but may not be now. Much cheaper than the shard and lovely inside.

Fauchelevent Mon 22-Jun-15 21:05:14

I see I've xposted with Mintyyy RE Skygarden! It's definitely worth the visit.

westcountrywoman Mon 22-Jun-15 21:07:28

Ice Bar? http://www.icebarlondon.com

Up at the O2
http://www.theo2.co.uk/do-more-at-the-o2/up-at-the-o2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now